Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser cutting thin brass shim

Hi, I’m new to lasers and after some advice please.

I need a laser that can burn a hole at close range (between 5cm to 10cm for example) through very thin brass shim (0.05mm to 0.25mm in thickness). The hole needs to be a minimum of 0.1mm in diameter so I suppose I need to be able to focus it. As I will mount this laser on a CNC machine, the laser point could be less than 0.1mm as I could use a stepper motor to drive the laser to produce that size hole.

Is this possible to achieve? Do you have any recommended laser products for me please?

Thanks, Ray.

Why do you think a laser is best for this? How many holes need to be punched? Why not use a spiked roller?

Why do you think a laser is best for this? How many holes need to be punched? Why not use a spiked roller?

Hi, two reasons:
  1. I thought a laser would give a finer and cleaner hole
  2. I also want to use the laser to cut the same material into squares (with the hole contained within the square)

If you can recommend a spiked roller with points that fine, I'd happily take a look at it.

Thanks, Ray.

Welcome to the forums! I'm not the person that knows about that stuff, just wanted to say welcome.

You'd have to make thousands of these shims to justify the cost of buying a laser cutter. Otherwise, you'd probably want to use a scissors and hole punch.