Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser as animal repellent?

^^ +1 for doing the research! That's good information you dug up there, that article was quite in depth. And it's good to see you ordered the goggles BEFORE you got the laser, you don't see that very often.:rolleyes:

There are plenty of outstanding members on this board that can sell you the components to easily build a 445 like you need. If you can solder a couple of wires together, you can build one like you need, with adjustable focus, quite inexpensively!

Just keep doing the research, and judging what you have done so far, this should not be hard for you..;)

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here...

Use a 1W+ laser. I mean if a rabid pack of dogs is coming after me, I do not in the least care about their continued good health, I want them stopped.

IMHO it is justifiable to meet lethal intent, whether from a human being or an animal, with lethal force. Or in this case blinding light.

My line of reasoning exactly. If the rabid dog is coming to attack and tear my flesh apart my main concern is protecting myself (and others with me) from having this thing sink its rabid fangs into my legs. If my means of protection is a laser I am not going to be concerned about protecting the well being of the dog under suck circumstances. heck, the dog ain't worried about my well being... that's for sure.

As part of my job, I run charity cycling tours. I take groups of cyclists on bicycles across long distances, usually in foreign countries. We pass through amazing countryside and are sometimes far from civilisation. I and my team are responsible for looking after the cyclists, ensuring their health, safety, protection, maintaining their bicycles and of course making sure they get to their overnight accommodation or the finish line.
Get a Chris King rear hub, the freewheel buzz is VERY loud. 204 points of engagement will be enough to deter most animals.

Last edited:
How about a full auto battery powered air soft gun, with a 20mW green laser defocused.

They have two electronic triggers for safety, that have to be pressed simultaneously. You could re-wire the safety trigger to activate an ultrasonic gizmo, but good luck mounting that.
I did see one of those electric airsofts being run off of a
9v battery on you tube though. So I guess you could operate the gun and the ultrasonic with the same battery.

Laser and mount from DX...$45approx.
Electric airsoft gun...........$35-45
Untrasonic dog reppeller(w/built in laser pointer).......$10-20(mine was $10--kinda sucks..9v battery)

Now I wanna build one for fun.