Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser-Aircraft events

I will admit this...

I once was shining my 50mW green laser at the sky one night(beam was faint) and I saw a commercial airliner fly by and I just kept my laser aimed away from it, if anything I moved it away from the plane and he just flew by without either of us having problems :beer:

PS: I always check if there are any aircraft before I even shine my laser. If the sky is cloudy and I don't see any I still only shine it for 2-5 secs and never keep it aimed at the same spot.

Have been following this routine for months and haven't had any issues.

I really wish people would just avoid purposely shinning at airplanes, it's immature and can cause many innocent lives to be lost.

I will admit this...

I once was shining my 50mW green laser at the sky one night(beam was faint) and I saw a commercial airliner fly by and I just kept my laser aimed away from it, if anything I moved it away from the plane and he just flew by without either of us having problems :beer:

PS: I always check if there are any aircraft before I even shine my laser. If the sky is cloudy and I don't see any I still only shine it for 2-5 secs and never keep it aimed at the same spot.

Have been following this routine for months and haven't had any issues.

I really wish people would just avoid purposely shinning at airplanes, it's immature and can cause many innocent lives to be lost.

That all sounds reasonable to me. When operating in the watt range and especially 532 is when I'd start to be extra cautious.

On the bright side my vision is fine. A few days of eye pain, but no long term damage or side effects.

Now a question for yall, if I'd like to jump in to a new build, one that burns as well as is impressive at night, would you suggest the new blue diodes or sticking with the 405 range just amped up?

djQUAN

Both can burn but the blues are more impressive at night as it is more visible.

NKO29

Definitely a 445nm would be alot better. Even at 300mW 405nm is barely visible. 445nm is good at burning because of raw power and is very visible :)

That all sounds reasonable to me. When operating in the watt range and especially 532 is when I'd start to be extra cautious.

On the bright side my vision is fine. A few days of eye pain, but no long term damage or side effects.

Now a question for yall, if I'd like to jump in to a new build, one that burns as well as is impressive at night, would you suggest the new blue diodes or sticking with the 405 range just amped up?

445 for sure. Seems 405 is novelty these days. I am in the process of putting an 8x 405 diode in a c6 host for the sole reason my bluray burner crapped out on me and I see it as a free diode :)

These 445's pack a lot of punch. If your not looking to buy your own, I suggest contacting MoeRon as he makes some really nice (and VERY REASONABLY PRICED) 445'S in mx-900 hosts with custom heatsinks. He calls them scorchers. I bought one from him and it has a duty cycle of 5 mins + @ 2.9 watts. Also ApexProxy is building some nice small 445's in a q5 host. Shorter duty cycle, but very portable.

445 for sure. Seems 405 is novelty these days. I am in the process of putting an 8x 405 diode in a c6 host for the sole reason my bluray burner crapped out on me and I see it as a free diode :)

These 445's pack a lot of punch. If your not looking to buy your own, I suggest contacting MoeRon as he makes some really nice (and VERY REASONABLY PRICED) 445'S in mx-900 hosts with custom heatsinks. He calls them scorchers. I bought one from him and it has a duty cycle of 5 mins + @ 2.9 watts. Also ApexProxy is building some nice small 445's in a q5 host. Shorter duty cycle, but very portable.

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the info guys