Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Advice

RECON

First off, I am new to the forum and would like to extend a hello to everyone on here. I have owned my share of lasers but only recently have had the opportunity to put more time and money into these awesome tools. By no means am I experienced in the technical aspects of lasers, and I can only hope I will learn from the more experienced members on the forum. I apologize ahead of time if this thread isn't posted in the proper section, but I am seeking some advice on the Dragonlasers 1W Spartan.

I have viewed the reviews on here about the Spartan but still have some questions. I was just wondering about the reliability of the laser overall. I've read about some problems with the laser, but most people seemed very pleased with their purchase. Basically, I was wondering if anyone here could approximate the lifespan of the laser, if not abused, and not utilized under an inappropriate duty cycle. Some laser companies such as Optotronics advertise a 5,000 hour MTTF for their pen pointer if used properly. I understand that those lasers most likely will not last as long as this, but at least it is a guideline. Being that the Spartan's website description dos not advertise any hours of life for the laser or any duty cycle, I was just wondering how to properly operate the laser (as far as duty cycle) and how long i can expect it to last through appropriate use. Is it an overall good laser? Is it better than the 1W blues advertised on Rayfoss and O-like? Are there any do's and dont's with the Spartan?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I am curious as to what can be expected with my order from Dragonlasers. I was thinking about the Spartan for a while now and I decided to pick one up. Couldn't resist any more. Any help or advice for a newbie such as myself means a lot. Thank you in advance for helpful replies. It is appreciated.

They all use the same diode. At under 1W, which most are, you should get more hours than you can use. But, as with all electronic devices, component quality varies. I've seen a few complaints about the Spartan, but if you consider they sell thousands of these, its a small ratio.

Garoq

Welcome to the forum, Recon.

I own the Spartan as well as the WL Arctic, the Rayfoss FTB and a number of other non-commercial 445s. Of all the commercial 445s, I prefer the Spartan. It has the highest output power of the three, with acceptable beam alignment. The only precaution I would advise is that it is not designed to work with the rechargeable 3.7V Lithiums. Stick with the primary (disposable) Lithium batteries or the 3.0V Tenergy such as:

Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery

Also, Dragon Lasers is a reputable company and "Frank" kept me updated on the status of my order.

RECON

Thank you for your replies Ignis and Garoq. I have more confidence in my purchase now. I can't wait to receive the Spartan. It will be my first high power handheld. Garoq, being you own the Spartan...any specifics I should know about storage and operating temperatures and duty cycle? Thank you.

Keep in mind these lasers are ridiculously powerful. Make sure to get a good pair of safety goggles. You only have 2 eyes.

Garoq

Thank you for your replies Ignis and Garoq. I have more confidence in my purchase now. I can't wait to receive the Spartan. It will be my first high power handheld. Garoq, being you own the Spartan...any specifics I should know about storage and operating temperatures and duty cycle? Thank you.

I don't have any specific information about storage and operating temperatures but the duty cycle should be reasonably long. The laser appears to have a substantial heatsink installed in the host. I generated a graph using a LaserBee II power meter and you can see the output power beginning to to drop off at about 25 seconds of operation as the laser heats up.

5184257453_7cea107dc2_z.jpg

As Ignis said, you will need adequate laser safety goggles for use with a unit such as this. I recommend the Dragon Lasers or Focalprice goggles designed for the 405-532nm wavelength range.

RECON

Thanks Garoq. Very informative. Good to hear about a decent heatsink in the host as this was one of my concerns. I second Ignis' response. I only plan to admire the beam in a low light rural setting with no one present to catch a stray beam and no reflective objects close or far - even then, it should be treated as a loaded gun. Otherwise, its goggles all the time. Its going to be wierd seeing a blue/violet beam as opposed to the greenies we are all familiar with lol. I will keep you guys updated when i receive the unit. Thanks again for the help.

Garoq

You're welcome Recon, sounds like you're on the right track. :D