Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

lab/handheld hybrid?

hey guys recently i thought of an idea. how about a lab/handheld hybrid! I came up with the idea after i hit my head in the bathroom :crackup: (not really, see my back to the future reference :D) but the host would be a classic altoids tin (i know unoriginal) but this is perfect because it could be a small labbie and a small/meduim rectangular handheld i have a transformer for the labbie part (ac/dc) i will have a port that is in line w/ the back of the can that is a female DC port. the male will go to female where the other end of that is male (stripped...of wires :)) that connects to a homemade linear. the handheld part will simply have a battery pack inside of the tin and have the wires go to the driver (then driver goes to diode) but my question is will this all work??? i would obviously not use them both at the same time. (when the labbie is in use i would take the batteries out of the pack) i dont think the extra wires connected to the driver would matter if they are not live wires. so please leave me feedback and tell me if this would work.
BTW i did multiple searches w/ different keywords and could not find another thread on this.
i will draw a picture too soon :)
:beer: Justin

EDIT-forgot i will use an lpc-826 in axiz module and put that in a mini heatsink (to fit in altoids tin)

sorry res was to high to attach here
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxb6zTSk39I3OGVHREVKLWNDczA
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxb6zTSk39I3YnMtNGNnNmY5ME0
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxb6zTSk39I3QnRBUmNxZXhyaUE
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxb6zTSk39I3WFdZM0pJd19jVW8
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxb6zTSk39I3bHFXNWhzd01RczA

Last edited:

Things

I called this a porta-labby :D

I did a similar thing with a 445nm laser when they first came out:

b445.jpg

damn I wont be the first person!
looks nice though. but will it fit in your pocket? :na:

Last edited:
Some of the handhelds like the "Big Boy" or super extended heat sink hosts are on par with or bigger than labbies. Labbie's seem to have plugin power sources, continuous duty cycles, and square hosts. All in all I guess who cares what it's called other than a laser.

yes thats all right but my main question is would the plugin/battery power work. like if the batteries were dead and needed to use the laser but could not wait for them to charge, i could plug it in.

BTW here is a pic that was drawn by me. (more in OP.)
open

That would definitely work. Using a multiple pull/throw switch to select the power source would let you leave charged up batteries in and the wall power source connected at the same time but just select which one you want to run on. I would suggest a three position on/off/on double throw double pull switch for the power switching so you can switch both positive and negative leads at the same time.

EDIT: I'll build the laser for you if you give me your dog.

Last edited:

Things

Only thing you need to watch out for is that you aren't charging your batteries when you're running off the external input, unless you somehow build in a charging circuit that can charge them all in circuit.

Most DC input jacks have a 3rd pin which is normally connected to the sleeve/- side, You can wire this up so your batteries are connected when this third pin is contacting (and thus the jack is removed), and when a jack is inserted, the 3rd pin is disconnected, disconnecting the batteries and off you go. No power selection switches on mine, that's how I did it.

Last edited:
You could do it that way too.

A 3 position DPDT would enable you to switch on the fly without having to disconnect anything or worry about the jack charging the batteries. The switch itself would prevent anything like that if you wired it right.

well my plan was to not just have the batteries connected when the wall output was but both of your theories sound nice about the "switching" of the power sources but i dont completely understand.
BTW im trying to not post so much because i want my hundreth to be my first build :shhh:
ill ship her out shortly just need to grab my keys to poke holes in the box she'll be shipped in (she needs to be comfortable, its a 3,000 mile 5 1/2 hour plane ride :D) wouldnt a 9mm 445 build be worth her?
ApexProxy said:
I'll build the laser for you if you give me your dog.

Last edited: