Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kryton With Meredith Glass Lens! Perfect!

jayrob

Besides the beauty of the Kryton design by Kenom, the fact that the diode presses directly into the Kryton head gives it superb heatsinking...

I always wanted to put a Meredith glass lens into a Kryton, but did not want to drill out the head and change this quality. Besides, I like the 'flip' open aperture caps that Ken sent with the Krytons. :cool:

The answer was to simply mount the Meredtih glass lens into an AixiZ glass lens nut! Same as I did with my 405-G-1 glass lens mod for blu-ray that you may have seen here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237515270

The Meredith glass lens is a different size than the 405-G-1 glass lens. So the drilling for the modification needed different sized bits, as well as a different size custom spacer to hold the lens inside the modified metal nut.

The result is absolutely perfect! :)

Kryton Meredith.jpg

The Meredith glass lens is not quite as 'close focus' in design as the 405-G-1 glass lens. So I did not have to cut the spring length to get focus.

As you can see, the fit is perfect! And the 'flip' open aperture cap is still perfectly functional!

Here are the comparisons for power differences with three different lenses for this open can red build set at 452mA's: (I normally set the open can's a little lower, but with the 'direct press' design for the diode mounting in a Kryton, I think I may be ok with a little more current)

* AixiZ Acrylic - 265mW's
* AR coated acrylic from Virtual Village - 292mW's (10% increase)
* Meredith glass - 322mW's! :eek:  Over 20% increase vs AixiZ acrylic!

SCHWEET! :D
Jay

* Meredith glass - 322mW's! Over 20% increase vs AixiZ acrylic!

WOW jay, that's a lot of power!

Are you considering putting one of those magic 8x diodes in there? Yes? Yes? ;D

Kenom

Another Great Kryton mod from Jayrob. Can't wait to see what is next!!

jayrob

Thanks Ken... Can't go wrong with a Kryton! :)

Niko, I agree... The Kryton would be a great host for an 8X! But not at the power Dave is driving his at. Because the FlexDrive is probably only good for up to about 300mA's with that diode. But for me, 300mA's is fine!

Per Dave's readings, that would still give about 325mW's through AixiZ acrylic. This means 409mW's with my 405-G-1 glass lens mod for blu-ray! :)
Jay

JLSE

jayrob said:
Thanks Ken... Can't go wrong with a Kryton! :)

Niko, I agree... The Kryton would be a great host for an 8X! But not at the power Dave is driving his at. Because the FlexDrive is probably only good for up to about 300mA's with that diode. But for me, 300mA's is fine!

Per Dave's readings, that would still give about 325mW's through AixiZ acrylic. This means 409mW's with my 405-G-1 glass lens mod for blu-ray! :)
Jay

Ive been working on a special driver for Dave's 8x, its a boost able to provide 400mA+ @ 8v from a single 3.6v lithium, and have even got it working off of 2 x AAA's @ 3v ;D

If anyone is interested in these drivers for an 8x build requiring the higher voltage and current, just send me a PM. I made a few extra, and have 4 left, but can always make more ;)

jayrob

That sounds perfect for a Kryton Groove with an 18650!

Will it fit in a Kryton?
Jay

JLSE

jayrob said:
That sounds perfect for a Kryton Groove with an 18650!

Will it fit in a Kryton?
Jay

Ive never worked with one, but these are pen inserts for leadlight lasers... I use them exclusively in my handhelds and pens, they even have a spot for a switch and spring ;)

They are approx. the length of an axiz module with the rear cap attached, but can be cut down in length by 10mm or so.

*Edit..

The ones on the right are the boost, this picture was my first batch, and the newer ones are a little cleaner looking etch wise ::)

Attachments

• DSC02306.jpg
    DSC02306.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 222

jayrob

Man! That's some clean looking work...

It does appear that it could fit a Kryton build. With a Kryton, you would probably solder a small spring for the battery positive contact to the end of the board.

I wouldn't mind having one or two of your boost drivers to experiment with for a future 8X!

Sending PM...
Jay

WannaBurn said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1238528458/0#7 date=1238544974]That sounds perfect for a Kryton Groove with an 18650!

Will it fit in a Kryton?
Jay

Ive never worked with one, but these are pen inserts for leadlight lasers... I use them exclusively in my handhelds and pens, they even have a spot for a switch and spring ;)

They are approx. the length of an axiz module with the rear cap attached, but can be cut down in length by 10mm or so.

*Edit..

The ones on the right are the boost, this picture was my first batch, and the newer ones are a little cleaner looking etch wise ::)[/quote]

Yeah... they look damn good... looks like a production assembly line.... :cool:

Jerry

Kenom

WannaBurn said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1238528458/0#7 date=1238544974]That sounds perfect for a Kryton Groove with an 18650!

Will it fit in a Kryton?
Jay

*Edit..

The ones on the right are the boost, this picture was my first batch, and the newer ones are a little cleaner looking etch wise ::)[/quote]

What are you asking for them??