Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Knife making help

So I found this blade in the metalworks room at school, lol. I swiped it because

1: you're not supposed to make weapons at school and
2: if you don't want it swiped don't leave it on the work bench when another class comes in. ;D

So now it's sitting on my desk. I polished it up a little and drilled a 6mm hole... without much foresight. What's a good way of mounting this to a handle of some sort? I was thinking some sort of nut and bolt set up... any suggestions? It can be fixed blade or flicky, I don't care. Want to avoid welding.

Got any piccies of it?

Ah, I remember metal work... I made lots of weapons. Throwing stars were the best :)

Holy fast reply batman! o.0

Man I'm dumb. Of course I have pix.

O SHI huge image *resize* Not bad handiwork for some Year 10 kid or something eh.

Attachments

• blade_001.JPG
    blade_001.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 12,409
Hmm, not too bad work at all. Not too sure on how to mount a handle, but Ill share my story with you.,

I purchased a "movie prop" knife from the internet tubes afew days ago, it came in the post today. It is HUGE (well, biggest Ive seen.) its 41cm overall length, its beasty as hell.

Cool blade, looks like it was gonna be for a folding knife, with a thumb notch and grip and the angle of those edges around the bottom make for smooth pivoting.  Anyway, I don't know to much about making them, Though I think it's harder to make a folder than a fixed blade. I've seen websites that sell wood and instructions for knife making, handle forming etc..
I think normally a fixed blade knife should be longer, so that more of a handle can be formed around the solid block of metal. This small blade you have here would be a bit hard to mount into a handle, you would need a very solid block of wood that you can slot the blade into and then mount it more securely with a rivot, locknut etc.. It may have to be a bit chunky so it can't break.
That's what I think anyway.
I made a fixed blade knife once a while ago, not thinking of a proper material I used a solid piece of iron, the thing is impossible to sharpen and is now just a chunk of rust, was sharp for a week or so but took dents so easily.

Here is my knife I made in school:
2010-1.jpg

The blade and wood is held in place with some sort of epoxy.

The blade looks something like this inside, maybe even longer:
2010-1-1.jpg

I also made a knife in school ^^ It was in the ninth grade, which was about two years ago. It was made with the same method as your knife, gluing the blade with an epoxy. I remember it was a pain in the rectum to make the hole for the blade :D

Anyway, here it is...

Attachments

• DSC01931.JPG
    DSC01931.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 3,084