Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

kind of new to lasers have a question

I have several lasers that I have been experimenting with. The one in particular that I need help with is a green laser with adjustable focus, 532 NM , labeled +5 MW. Really bright laser and in dimmer light you can really see the beam. I have adjusted the focus in every way possible but cannot get it to burn anything. I modified the case to hold two #18650 6800mAh battery's instead of one. Yes in series that doubles the voltage to almost 8 volts. Can feel some heat but no burn. Please help me with what I should try or do next. Thank you very much

Try shinning it thru a magnifying glass(if you have one) at the object you wish to burn. If it still dosen't burn it's time to get a higher quality/more powerful 532 laser :p

-Alex

Last edited:
I have several lasers that I have been experimenting with. The one in particular that I need help with is a green laser with adjustable focus, 532 NM , labeled +5 MW. Really bright laser and in dimmer light you can really see the beam. I have adjusted the focus in every way possible but cannot get it to burn anything. I modified the case to hold two #18650 6800mAh battery's instead of one. Yes in series that doubles the voltage to almost 8 volts. Can feel some heat but no burn. Please help me with what I should try or do next. Thank you very much

That laser will burn out real quick using 2 batteries if it was supposed to run on only one, or the IR pump diode will degrade very quickly. Always use the correct batteries. If it's less than 50mW it's not going to burn anything anyway, even that much will usually only burn black plastic. Like Alex said, time to get a more powerful laser if you want it to burn stuff.

Alan

That laser will burn out real quick using 2 batteries if it was supposed to run on only one, or the IR pump diode will degrade very quickly. Always use the correct batteries. If it's less than 50mW it's not going to burn anything anyway, even that much will usually only burn black plastic. Like Alex said, time to get a more powerful laser if you want it to burn stuff.

Alan
Thank you for the response, yea I didn't figure it would last long but I guess its all part of the learning curve lol thanks again