Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Killing diodes by twisting the pin

Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm surprised I've never read about this happening yet, because I am positive this is how I killed two of my diodes now (both LPC-815's i got from HighTechDealz).

I soldered only the positive terminal because part of the pad on the negative terminal on the driver came off. I then went on to screw the bottom of the aixiz on to see if I connected it close enough to have it fit. It barely did, and by the time I unscrewed it, the driver has twisted the pin around a bit. I wiggled it and realized that it spins rather freely, and then checked the diode with a sinking feeling... the pole that the positive pin is connected to is connected to one of the extremely thin wires leading to the diode semiconductors, and so twisting it obviously yanks it out and kills the diode. :cryyy:

I figure filing the driver down some might help it fit better in the module, but i guess this is a good way for me to learn to always solder both pins to the driver... and screw that thing on really really carefully... it also would have helped me to clip the pins a little bit shorter since they were pushed up against an IC. So far I have had much more success with the diodes I've extracted out of the sleds myself than the ones I got pre-set into aixiz's. Go figure.

Last edited: