Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kershaw Blur S30V for $80, any better recommendations?

I have had a few Kershaw over the past few years....(including the one the 5-O took from me:tsk:)...They make a very nice, reliable knife for a fair price. ....my favorite though is my CRKT First Strike :eg:

That's new york for ya'!

@randomluigia
It's going on the birthday list for now, If I don't get it then or at xmas I'll just buy it.

Raybo

I'm an idiot when it comes to knives (and steel for the making of knives) but I did a little sniffing..............................................................

So I ordered a Kershaw Blur ($75 from Amazon) with a S30V blade last night because of some of the reviews that I happen to stumble upon. I'll post a review after it arrives.

IsaacT

I have a S&W MP M.A.G.I.C Assisted Opening and I love it. Only ran me about 40 bucks and it is very sturdy! Probably my favorite knife.

I swear it's been the night of the undead with all these dead threads up and walking around.. Must be cause it's almost Halloween

IsaacT

I didn't even notice it was a dead thread... *sigh* necroposters mess in with my groove

Since the thread is already back from the dead, I'll add mu $0.02.

I have the kershaw blur tactical: Link.

It hasn't seen much use, but has seen enough for me to form an opinion on it, grounded in personal experience.

1. The steel is pretty decent. Holds a good edge, not super hard to resharpen.
2. The coating on the blade is pretty crappy. It is easily scratched. Has more of a matte look, and feel, vs the more common, and IMO better DLC/Teflon coatings used by others.
3. The assist mechanism is somewhat overdeveloped. All it takes is a very slight push on the thumb stud, and the knife flies open.
4. There is no safety mechanism to keep the knife locked. If you catch the thumbstud on something in you pocket... good luck, you'll need it.
5. The sandpaper like liner on both sides of the handle is a very nice, and effective touch. Really does provide extra grip.

I purchased mine for about $80 years ago, and at a camping goods strore.

Ultimately though, I can't recommend this knife. The lack of a safety mechanism to keep the blade locked is major oversight IMO.

Raybo

Looks like i'm the one that resurrected this thread (sorry), OTOH I did recieve my Blur s30v today and the price seemed right at the $75 I paid.

Razor sharp out of the box, assisted opening is fast but not scary fast (pleasing IMHO) and no lock is needed as it doesn't have a "hair trigger". Construction is great, aluminum handle with rubbery grippy stuff on it for a great grip, and you can see throught the handle so cleaning should be a breeze. Blade is rock solid with not a hint of wobble when deployed and the blade lock seems good enough for my uses.

I'll have to use the knife a while to give my impression about the s30v blade, heck, this is my first high end knife. :beer: