Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just some quick questions

That laser looks perfect actually, 80mw would be great. My only final concern here is getting it into the USA haha.

I notice that the lasers that aren't pointers that are offered by laserbtb all have "(FDA)" as part of their titles....and the pointers don't. I know this is because the FDA will not allow in any laser over 5mw which doesn't have safety features like a key and safety switch and all that jazz.
See these examples:
HL 532nm 50-300
PL 532nm 100-700

Can I ship in an 80mw pointer without too much worry? If so, I'm gonna do it....haha

For your laser to get through customs it depends on 2 factors in my opinion :undecided:

1) How the laser is packaged. If it's packaged in a box saying laser, there is a good chance you won't be seeing it. If instead it's packaged in let's say a flashlight box or etc...this could be the luck that gets it trough customs.

2) Where it will be coming into/who will be checking it. Some people check in more details packages that look suspicious while others just let it slide by.

Anyway, enough with my rambling. You should be good to go with laserbtb :D

Alright so I guess there is just always a little bit of risk involved in shipping these....but it's not laserbtb's first time at the rodeo lol.

At the risk of posting in the wrong section, how many mw does a 445nm laser need to be for me to see the beam at night? I'm looking at some around 100mw but I would get a stronger one if I have to. I just really want a blue laser! It was such a small question I didn't want to make a whole new thread in the other section haha

Alright so I guess there is just always a little bit of risk involved in shipping these....but it's not laserbtb's first time at the rodeo lol.

At the risk of posting in the wrong section, how many mw does a 445nm laser need to be for me to see the beam at night? I'm looking at some around 100mw but I would get a stronger one if I have to. I just really want a blue laser! It was such a small question I didn't want to make a whole new thread in the other section haha

No need to worry :D

Where do you find a 100mW 445nm laser? I haven't been able to find one :(

But a 2W 445nm laser will have a very visible and amazing beam. Please be aware of how dangerous these kind of lasers are :undecided:

No need to worry :D

Where do you find a 100mW 445nm laser? I haven't been able to find one :(

But a 2W 445nm laser will have a very visible and amazing beam. Please be aware of how dangerous these kind of lasers are :undecided:

HL 405,445,450nm
Sorry I know it's not a 445nm it's actually a 450nm but hey it's actually a brighter blue which is what I wanted anyway haha. The 445 is 500mw+ but it's still a reasonable price....why don't they offer them in any lower powers though?

And yes I know a 2w would have a very visible beam lol. Don't know if I want to go that high....nothing over 500mw here. Wayyyy to dangerous for me, I tend to make mistakes. Do you think I could see the beam on a 100mw 450nm?

HL 405,445,450nm
Sorry I know it's not a 445nm it's actually a 450nm but hey it's actually a brighter blue which is what I wanted anyway haha. The 445 is 500mw+ but it's still a reasonable price....why don't they offer them in any lower powers though?

And yes I know a 2w would have a very visible beam lol. Don't know if I want to go that high....nothing over 500mw here. Wayyyy to dangerous for me, I tend to make mistakes. Do you think I could see the beam on a 100mw 450nm?

Um...I personally couldn't answer that since my domain is mostly greens and reds. I haven't seen too many 450nm but my guess is barely visible. I had a 500mW 532nm and it's beam was barely visible under certain conditions.

Last edited:

djQUAN

My 100mW 450nm blue has a beam visible in a moderately lit room indoors. Depends though on how much dust/smoke is in your environment

Tmack

I had the hl450 100mw and it was very visible beam at night. If you're talking about the 450 single mode that's a nice little laser. I regret selling mine. Went to a great guy though

Packages from Laserbtb have a 99% chance of making it through customs.

Hope this eases your apprehension
:beer:
-Matt

I had the hl450 100mw and it was very visible beam at night. If you're talking about the 450 single mode that's a nice little laser. I regret selling mine. Went to a great guy though

Awesome that's good to hear. How large is that laser? Is it pocketable? And will it burn things (light a match? pop a balloon?)?

I am deciding between the HL450, the HL445 500mw, and the Lazerer 100mw tiny pocket laser. I went back to that Lazerer one just because I like the fact that it is so small and cheap! Plus it can do this:
100mw lazerer laser keychain - YouTube
If that isn't a fake video, I'd say it's pretty impressive for a 9cm laser without focus capability....

What is the bset all-around buy? Obviously the 500mw will burn much better than either of the 100mw but is slightly more expensive and considerably more dangerous. Assume I do not use glasses because this will almost exclusively be used for looking at the beam outside, besides occasional burning with careful supervision of where I point the beam!

Tmack

You will be much happier with the 500mw. That will have a very nice beam and make short work of matches much less a balloon. The 450 will pop one but ehh. That laser is more for the quality of the beam as its single mode. Think the 445nm 500 is a better choice for you.

500mw should burn quite well. Might even be able to light a match backwards (the hard way)

Last edited:
If I don't have goggles though I probably (definitely?) shouldn't get a 500mw though right? Haha

And what makes the laser "single mode" and how does that make the beam better? I may be getting a cheap green laser for pointing and astronomy now and a strong blue one for the beam and some burning fun. I know getting the 500mw would be perfect for burning, especially because I can get a 750mw for only $3 more so I might get that....but that would cause literally instant blindness if I made a mistake! I know how to treat these with respect, but still....

So know I have decided to definitely get a very powerful laser, and I will be purchasing goggles/glasses. Basically I am between a 200mw 635nm red-orange laser and a 750mw 445nm blue. Besides the fact that the 445 is way more powerful, which is less commonly seen? And Is the 635nm more visible?

Also I have done searching to try and understand what a single-mode laser is, but it is much too complicated haha. In layman's terms, is a single-mode "better" for beam quality? If so, how to I know if a laser is a single-mode or a multi-mode?

Lastly, is buying glasses from Amazon a good idea? I found some for around $3-$5 haha but that seems awfully sketchy compared to the $30-$40 dollar ones on actual laser sites....lol

Tmack

Hmm lots of questions! Multimode and single mode. 445nm, 638nm multi, 450 osram, 405 s0j6 single mode.
The 445nm will be more visible. Amazon glasses suck, I would get the 750 445. Yes it's dangerous, just don't view the spot or burn without glasses. That doesn't mean you will go blind if you do, but if you have an accident with reflection or dropping it you will really hurt yourself. But a gun will do worse so just be as careful as you would be with a gun. Reds visibility is pretty bad. You need a fair amount of power. The 445nm is a bit better, but that power can be had for cheap.

Sorry if I seem greedy! I can't help it if you guys are super smart about lasers lol.

Alright so the 635nm is out. 445nm 750mw is the one to get. I just worry about the divergence of the beam, because I've seen some with rectangular beams and huge dots at close ranges and that would suck....for viewing and for burning!

Any suggestions for cheap glasses?

Last edited:
Alright the deed is done, I've placed my order from laserbtb for the 750mw 445nm torch. Should be awesome! Will post media as soon as I get it.
HL 405,445,450nm

Sorry for hijacking a green laser post into a blue one....and asking so many stupid questions. I'll stick around here and learn more, as I know I'll buy many lasers in the future. Thanks so much for all the help and advice!