Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just paid for a CO2 laser I got on ebay

a focusing optic would give you a much higher energy density at the target. Since you just want to burn stuff with it a focusing optic would be good. Just make the focal length long enough so you are not getting anything splattered or collecting on the OC of the laser tube. It's bad mojo for CO2 systems to have dirty OC optics.

Its bad mojo for optics to be dirty on any laser ;D

Just was wondering if it would be worth the $100 for an optic that might not really increase burning ability a substantial amount. Its only 7 watts, would it really make that big of a difference?

I suppose it depends on the beam diameter. Maybe I'll wait to check that first.

Event Horizon said:
I think it was a steal, any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290290354307

I plan on building an enclosure for it. But since I only really plan on using it to burn stuff, would a focusing optic be of much use here?

It's a good price but reading here on the forums would have saved you some $$$... ;)

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1225506764/386#386

And for Gods Sake.... Don't test the output of your new toy with your LaserBee I.... ::)

Jerry

CO2 beam diameters tend to be larger. Focusing would give much more impressive results. My YAG was putting out 8 watts and it was burning but focused it would have been much more aggressive which is what the people want.

Dangit, I knew I should have read through that thread. I just read the first few and last few posts and missed that part. Oh well I suppose that's my fault.

EDIT: Whoops I wasn't even looking at the right thread! Dangit I need to pay more attention! But still it was only $25 more.

And don't worry, the LaserBee I won't be going anywhere near the full intensity beam!

Event Horizon said:
Dangit, I knew I should have read through that thread. I just read the first few and last few posts and missed that part. Oh well I suppose that's my fault.

EDIT: Whoops I wasn't even looking at the right thread! Dangit I need to pay more attention! But still it was only $25 more.

And don't worry, the LaserBee I won't be going anywhere near the full intensity beam!

Yeah... that's right... it was $175.00 to Canada... ::)

Jerry

Event Horizon said:
Its bad mojo for optics to be dirty on any laser ;D

Dirty optics on class 3b lasers just scatter the beam a bit. On CO[sub]2[/sub] lasers, the optics tend to crack or explode when dirty. Any dust present on the lens gets burned into the lens and cannot be cleaned.

Event Horizon said:
Just was wondering if it would be worth the $100 for an optic that might not really increase burning ability a substantial amount. Its only 7 watts, would it really make that big of a difference?

Take an unfocused red beam. Try burning something. Focus the same red beam. Try burning something.
In general, unfocused beams burn, but focused beams cut.

heruursciences said:
Don't worry you'll get what you paid for-  I'll send you one north of 7W  ;)

I think I am in love with you.

Dirty optics on class 3b lasers just scatter the beam a bit. On CO2 lasers, the optics tend to crack or explode when dirty. Any dust present on the lens gets burned into the lens and cannot be cleaned.

That makes alot of sense. Crap on the optics will heat up and ruin the optic. Thanks for the advice I'll be sure to pick up a long focal length CO2 lens then

Chris I must admit I just read through the entire group buy thread and I am confused. The Ebay page says the laser takes 4A of 12V, 300mA at 5V and "a few amps at 32-48V"

But in the group buy thread you said that they run off of 26-32V at around 10 amps. Then I gathered that you ran out of those and then only had ones that run on 12V, 5V and 28-38V. And then later on you say that you modified all the rest of them to be plug and play, just add electricity, but never stated what voltage or current!.

Which of these exactly am I getting? I already have high current 12V and 5V power supplies but what about the third power input? Will 48V work? I have a 6.5 amp 48v power supply already, will that suffice? And what about the TTL duty cycle control? is that still on there?

You need a 32V power supply of 10A maximum, they generally run at 6 to 8A of current. They also need the 12V and +5V. I shipped your unit today, it has the instructions with it :D

Ok great thanks. Anybody have an idea where I could pick up a 32V 10A power supply (I'm in Canada so it needs 120VAC in)? I'm looking around on google and all I can find are variable power supplies that cost upwards of a thousand dollars :eek:

EDIT:

Cancel that. Managed to find a great deal on ebay for some laptop power adapters. 16 volts at 4.5 amps each max. Three sets in parallel of two in series should do the trick!