Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just how big?

I very much doubt that by the time it gets where it is going it'll resemble anything like snow. Probably more like slush, or a piece of ice.

Benm

I guess there are plenty of options. Ski resorts often use snow cannons when there is a lack of preciptation but temperatures are freezing. These things don't actually cool anything down though, they just spread water (sometimes mixed with some nucleation material) into droplets and rely on ambient temperature to freeze it.

Strictly speaking there is no reason you could not do this in a warm country if you had a big walk-in freezer or industrial icehouse etc. The even do this in Dubai for their indoor ski ramp with outside temperatures as high as 50 degrees c.

Just packing snow into styrofoam boxes and shipping it will not work though, that'd rely on the snow melting to keep the temperature down and probably result in a box full of slush. Using dry ice as the coolant prevents any snow from melting in transit.

Then again i'm mostly jealous of people that live in a place where they never see any snow up in person. Indonesia is one of these places, although they do have a word for snow (salju), which mostly refers to snow on top of very tall mountains (like on papua), not shit coming down from the clouds ruining everyones day.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Like Bowtie said I was wondering if there was a "snowball in hell chance" :whistle: but as everyone was giving idea's I really started playing with a chance:beer:
Unfortunately is would cost any where from $50 for 1 snowball to a $1000 for a bunch off snow that would be water by the time AU custom grabs it:(
I was thinking the beautiful Christmas morning's of pure nice white snow but growing up and living my whole life in MA, like Benn said it will turn into nasty salty and dirty annoyance, that also rusts out or cars.
As much as I dislike it now I still wouldn't trade the fun I had as a kid:can:
I thought of a snow globe but going through customs:eek:

On another note, like I had mentioned years ago I read an article that mentioned some outrages size a styrofoam box would have to be to keep a snowman for 100 years. As much as I tried googling I can't find anything close...Can anyone find it?:undecided:

Last edited:

Benm

I don't know about such a box, but it could be calculated since the R value of styrofoam is known. One issue is that the box would probably so large it would make a significant diffrence if you somehow pre-cooled the box.

If you did you could maintain interior temperature for as long as you want given the box be large enough.

For 100 years i'd guess this is not the easiest solution though. Perhaps something as large as a cubic kilometer of styrofoam would actually work, but putting a big solar powered aircon unit would probably result in a much more compact solution even if it must last a century.

Encap

Like Bowtie said I was wondering if there was a "snowball in hell chance" :whistle: but as everyone was giving idea's I really started playing with a chance:beer:
Unfortunately is would cost any where from $50 for 1 snowball to a $1000 for a bunch off snow that would be water by the time AU custom grabs it:(
I was thinking the beautiful Christmas morning's of pure nice white snow but growing up and living my whole life in MA, like Benn said it will turn into nasty salty and dirty annoyance, that also rusts out or cars.
As much as I dislike it now I still wouldn't trade the fun I had as a kid:can:
I thought of a snow globe but going through customs:eek:

On another note, like I had mentioned years ago I read an article that mentioned some outrages size a styrofoam box would have to be to keep a snowman for 100 years. As much as I tried googling I can't find anything close...Can anyone find it?:undecided:

You could always just get a bucket of indoor snowballs as a simulation until you solve the shipping dilemma.
https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Snowball-Fight-SNOWTIME-ANYTIME/dp/B00ADVKRRM/ref=pd_bxgy_21_2/135-8956981-7958505?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ADVKRRM&pd_rd_r=EVAKS0HX31R9CDH07BZJ&pd_rd_w=tZeHV&pd_rd_wg=J3Bxw&psc=1&refRID=EVAKS0HX31R9CDH07BZJ

Last edited:
Pete just make sure on the Customs Declaration you don't mention that the package contains "Snow".
We'll both be hung out to dry.

:crackup:

GSS

This is to cool:thinking: and I never realized so many have tried to make some money bringing the snow scenerio to people but alot of the fun was also eating some of it when it was "fresh and not yellow":whistle:
RB if I were to ship anything labeled "snow" to you the drones over your house wouldn't be the ones your flying:eg:
The hypothetical styrofoam box for the 100 year snowman as far as I remember would have been measured in acre's??

Encap

This is to cool:thinking: and I never realized so many have tried to make some money bringing the snow scenerio to people but alot of the fun was also eating some of it when it was "fresh and not yellow":whistle:
RB if I were to ship anything labeled "snow" to you the drones over your house wouldn't be the ones your flying:eg:
The hypothetical styrofoam box for the 100 year snowman as far as I remember would have been measured in acre's??

Question: If you live in an igloo made of snow, what's the worst thing about global warming? Answer: No privacy!

Yes many snow related products--was amazed at how many on Amazon. How many people buy Snow in Seconds Instant Fake Snow XL Party Bucket (Makes 130 Gallons) 20 cubic feet, 240sq feet or 20x12ft 1in deep @ $189.99 + shipping See: https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Seconds-Instant-Bucket-Gallons/dp/B01N6B9XK6/ref=pd_sbs_201_5/144-5311291-8959815?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N6B9XK6&pd_rd_r=EP3WA6Q3K67YXF0P3VNQ&pd_rd_w=9Ioqe&pd_rd_wg=tJTNg&psc=1&refRID=EP3WA6Q3K67YXF0P3VNQ

CxOxTbOUkAAwXGc.jpg:small

PS Is your favorite song Frosty the Snowman?

Last edited:

GSS

Question: If you live in an igloo made of snow, what's the worst thing about global warming? Answer: No privacy!

Yes many snow related products--was amazed at how many on Amazon. How many people buy Snow in Seconds Instant Fake Snow XL Party Bucket (Makes 130 Gallons) 20 cubic feet, 240sq feet or 20x12ft 1in deep @ $189.99 + shipping See: https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Seconds-Instant-Bucket-Gallons/dp/B01N6B9XK6/ref=pd_sbs_201_5/144-5311291-8959815?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N6B9XK6&pd_rd_r=EP3WA6Q3K67YXF0P3VNQ&pd_rd_w=9Ioqe&pd_rd_wg=tJTNg&psc=1&refRID=EP3WA6Q3K67YXF0P3VNQ

CxOxTbOUkAAwXGc.jpg:small

PS Is your favorite song Frosty the Snowman?
LoL! but what is it made of?? I can't find anything a "spongy substance"? Not that I would buy it or trust it to be "non toxic":thinking:
If people will pay for this, then we should sell beach sand?:shhh:

I guess any Bing Crosby Christmas album song will be my favorite.
Watching the 33 record spin on our old RCA Victor with the snake arm with eyes was a favorite:)

Last edited:

Benm

Well, selling beach sand (or ocean floor sand at least) actually is a business :D

I reckon many people would think all sand is similar, but it not. Countries like the UAE require quite a bit of sand for construction and forming artficial islands and such. They also have vasts deserts full of sand, that is pretty much useless for such applications: this sand has been eroded by wind for millenia and has very smooth granules that don't "stick" very well when trying to use it as a construction material.

So the sand used to make artificial islands and some buildings is actually dredged from the ocean floor at great effort, despite having vast amounts of land-sand available.

These islands were largely made by dutch companies since we have vast experience with water management here, and totalled several hundred millions of dollars in revenue - so yes, you can sell sand to arabs and make a decent profit on it... try that with eskimos and snow :D

Reactions: GSS
I guess any Bing Crosby Christmas album song will be my favorite.
Watching the 33 record spin on our old RCA Victor with the snake arm with eyes was a favorite:)

How funny is this, I've got one of his original records, my favourite of his, "White Christmas".
Bought it years ago at an antiques store.
Couldn't resist owning a bit of nostalgia.
The record also includes "Silent Night" and "Adeste Fideles" sung with the Andrew Sisters.

I've also got a Record player that plays 33's, 45's and has a USB output to connect to computer.

:beer:

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG