Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

just bought this.... a bit worried

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330199446333

I'm a bit worried about how this laser will perform...

does anyone know what the specs for a diode like this would be?
And I haven't ever harvested so I'm a bit worried there to... Is there a good tutorial thread somewhere around here?

flogged

lol, you need to wait for the SenKat diodes to arrive. Why waste an entire burner just to harvest the diode, especially when you don't know what you're getting. With the SenKat Sony diode you have a nice 5mm can to work with.

Patience. It took over three months after I got my diodes before I had to the time, money and parts to build the complete pointer. Worth the wait tho.

JECS

yeah if youre gonna get a burner better off getting a combo cd burner with like 50x that way you got a nice high power ir to go along with it. if you want to get your worth from it though dont pay more than like $40usd. otherwise senkat would be the way to go. ive been looking a lot into ir lately and i cant find any place carrying any decent priced burners for red or ir. ebay for ir. senkat for reds.

Kenom

OOOPs samsungs are crap in my experience. You'll get a diode that looks like this:

I got this diode from a samsung dvd-rw.

Kenom said:
OOOPs samsungs are crap in my experience.  You'll get a diode that looks like this:

I got this diode from a samsung dvd-rw.
Crap...... Will that diode even fit in any housings? Is the beam collimatable?

Kenom

I did get it into a module by cutting the hole larger but it didn't fit too well. on the positive side you can use it as a test diode to test any drivers you may want to use. It will also give you practice in sucessfully removeing the diode from the dvd-rw and also soldering!~