Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just bought a green laser and :O it says 1mW but: Class IIIB?!

Okay so I just bought a 1 mW green laser (max allowed in Belgium) it didn't get checked by customs anyway.

The thing is! It says: Danger: Laser Radiation & etc on the sticker but it also says this on the sticker!
==> "Power Output: 1 mW
Wavelength 532nm
Class IIIb Product"

These are my first lasers, however I can't tell if it's really 1 mW or not.. It just seems really bright!! I can't see any beam in daytime (I still have to test it in the dark!)

I already tested it; without glasses since I thought it's only 1 mW (and maybe it is); but now I read this I'm kind of scared for my eyes!

2 other safety questions & a third offtopic ;) :
1)It's cheap, so doesn't have an IR filter on it => this can only harm if you look directly at the beam or a reflection of the beam, right?

2) Is it dangerous to look at the green dot? It's so bright it's hard to look at it (and I've bought another 1 mW red laser from somebody else, also just arrived today and it looks also so bright to look at it??) Maybe I underestemitated the power of 1mW? But still the "CLASS IIIB" intrigues me?

3) Is it possible for you guys (who know so much about lasers xD) to tell the average mW if I make a picture of the laser in action?

Thanks for letting me know.

Posting a photo of the unit and where you purchased it from may help. Most likely your laser is outputting much more than 1 mw but there's no way to tell what kind of output you are getting without more info. The only way to tell what your laser is outputting for sure is with a calibrated laser power test.

TuhOz

Yes, just what jeffreythe00 said.
I think the laser is about 5mw, try to test it in dark

I asked the vendor and he confirmed it is 1 mW.. Though I still can't be sure; it looks so bright haha. But so does my 1mW red laser. Maybe i underestimated the power! haha.

Well.. I'll post pictures later (once it's dark i'll take pictures, my camera's battery was dead so couldn't take a picture).

During the night or in the complete darkness of a room i can see the beam quite clearly. But for this being my first laser, I can't quite say if it's really clear or not; but it was quite visible, let's say. Oh and the laser eats my batteries lol.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would like to see what host it is in. Sellers will claim 1mw output to avoid customs taking the product. Your laser is most likely well over 5mw. How much? Well that's impossible to say without a calibrated lpm result. Chances are it's only 10mw of green and some IR light. Could be wrong though and you might have a >50mw laser. Just be very careful!

Okay guys;

I couldn't take pictures. On the pictures you cannot see the beam and it's less nice than in real.

You can see the laser here (opened and the compenents inside too!)
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAP...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The strange thing is; it was 5GBP when I bought it; now the seller set it to 104GBP?? lol he must've made a mistake haha. Or maybe he did that because he's out of stock? lol not sure; but it's strange!

Thanks.
Oh and I've bought a 405nm 1mW too xD haha.

eexe

405 "1mW" could be 20-70 mW, greens fluctuate even more.
The sticker is a lie.

Thing is I've forgotten to mention it.. My brother accidentally shone the green laser on my eyes. It was an accident but it could've gone really bad, but my eyes are as good as before that moment.. So maybe after all it is 1mW. I'm really happy my eyes are still good.. I told him to be careful though; I guess it's never enough.. And he's 4 years older than me :/.

eexe

You don't know if your eyes are good or not, brain compensates for damage so you don't notice it. You can check on amsel grid to have an approximate result.