Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just a little question

10 days ago I had ordered a true 5mW laser pointer from DealExtreme, Today it finally arrived. I wanted to test out how bright it is and it's really bright at night and the beam is very visible outside. But there's something I do not like from this laser pointer.. The beam divergence *diameter* (The further I point it at, the bigger the beam point gets).

Is there a way I can focus the laser optical lens to make the beam diameter thinner *Smaller* than it actually is?

I have another 5mW Green laser pointer from eBay and it works very well and its' beam diameter is OK at long distances but this DX one gets bigger than expected, but the laser itself is a bit better than my eBay pen.

So Yeah, I wish I could find a way to focus (or adjust) the lens inside it to make it thinner.. Is there any way?

Not without rather extensive modification. At what value did you measure the divergence?

Measure your divergence. If its really off, you might need to focus the lens. You'd have to remove the cap on your laser, or whatever the front piece is hiding the module and adjust the lens (not the separate sections of the module)

Also, without a LPM you wont be able to see if this is actually a "true 5mw". Its probably more like 30mw.

Last edited: