Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just a couple pics. of my new He-Ne

Morgan

A couple of things to aid the photography...

If the camera is set on auto then it will look at the average light available and in this environment it won't, "see", very much unless you can somehow fill the screen with beam! NOT likely. Generally this will raise the camera's sensitivity to light, (raising the ISO number to probably around 800, maybe more if it can do it electronically), and this makes the picture grainy. Incidentally, at these raised ISO levels it could also explain the strange effect that schrecken-licht noticed as the CCD sensor looks to have become saturated and cannot differentiate the lighter background.

Edit: Raising the saturation again in the photoshopping further enhanced what I pointed out here.

Best advice would be to get a professional photographer in and.... Just kidding! Try your manual functions and reduce the ISO number. Then lengthen your exposure still using the tripod, (use your timer setting too as this reduces camera shake as you open the shutter). Also try out ALL your other settings such as portrait, backlit, moonlight, shadow, etc. I say ALL because every camera is different and you need to see how yours performs best. There will be a setting that gets you close to what you're trying to achieve, it just takes time to find it.

Post back some improved shots. I gaurantee that you will find a better setting.

Hope that helps.

M
:)

Last edited:

The graininess is due to a high ISO on the camera. Try to see if you can manually set the ISO lower. If you're on a tripod, and the laser is mounted so there's no movement, go as low as you can. But ISO is used to brighten up the picture, and make it take faster so that you don't get a motion blur.

Nice pics, and congratulations on the 18mW HeNe. Offtopic, I think you're the closest person to me that's on lpf, and I've seen quite a few of your posts, and it tool me until last night to realize it, heh.