Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JetLasers PL-E pro 520nm 700mw, can you push it to 850mw?

-UnkownOne

I saw that jetlasers have this power and I saw that dtr also has same power diode but it can be pushed to 850mw, so I was wondering if you take apart the host and take out the driver can you adjust to push the diode to 850mw or is it not possible?

Many JL pointers come in above spec, so I doubt it would make much difference even if you could adjust the driver to output more current to push the diode a little higher. You would never be able to see the difference of an extra 150 mW, nor would you see a difference in its ability to burn.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Paul is correct, besides that, the threads on the PL-E hosts have a very strong epoxy type glue on them, chances are you will damage the finish if you take it apart.
You will also void your warranty.

-UnkownOne

I see so its not worth it, I'm guessing thanks for the advice, also if I have same power and diode but in the miniseries do you guys know the duration it will work for before overheating

That depends on the heat sink used to pull heat from the diode. I have a 520nm build that does 1100 mW in a fairly large heat sink and it is good for several minutes before I shut it off. I have never actually driven one to the point of failure, so I can't say for certain how hot in needs to get before it fails.

-UnkownOne

I guess it just comes to preference thanks for all the advice though Paul

Overheating and damaging a Jetlasers laser would not be smart- and voids the warranty as does running it too long, dropping, getting wet etc not covered.
Can you please tell us what you are dong that requires a long duty cycle. MY rule is" when very warm to the touch on the outside means HOT on the inside''and at that point you may have already harmed you laser.. Most of us have several so the rest cycle can be long (I say about 2X the amount of time it was in Duty Cycle. ) Run 2 min rest 4.

Keep in mind the cost ... Treat your collection well.

Going now to read your 'intro' thread in the Welcome section... ( I hope)