Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JDS Uniphase 2214-20SLMD laser! (PIC HEAVY)

Good news everyone! The laser just arrived! I just tested it (1/2/2016) and it works great. the fan and controller have arrived, and here are your beampics!!!
So here it is!

it was built in 2000 by JDS uniphase, and rebuilt by the national laser company in 2009. Im VERY surprised by how bright it is, its beam is easily visible, even on idle! its dot makes enough scatered light to cast a shadow from 40ft away, on full 8A.

AND NOW, THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL WAITED FOR: LAZ0R PR0N (beampics)
sadly the true cyan color did not come out in the pics :(
and don't mind my comforter on my bed... i know its childish but i don't care :na:

you can see my oclaro 900mW red in a 501b host with a solid copper heatsink (and case for my other lasers).

this is my entire rainbow except for a cheap red laser that LEDed but still makes a nice cat toy. notice: no lights were on in the room at the time, that's all laser power. from, L to R: 405nm, 445nm, 488nm, 532nm, 635nm.

a nice beamshot. this one shows the color better, but is still way off.

a close up of the dot at 40ft. its about 25mm wide, and at aperture its only like 1mm, so this has a damn good divergence. the edge of this dot is closest to the actual color (the one in my sig is almost perfect too). this beam is a perfect gaussian beam too :3

same dot, through safe glasses to show the "gaussian-ness" better.

a cool shot, though you cant see the argon well :(

the whole collection though you can't really see the argon.

Well there you go folks, thats mah laser! Its a very nice color IRL. Its cyan, but if you put a 450nm next to it, it looks green. If you put a 532nm next to it, it looks blue, which i find very interesting. I would like to sincerely thank daichi and H2Oxide for the help in setting this thing up and helping me get it to run the first time (you wouldn't believe how many questions i bothered them with, i must have sent 50+ PMs to these guys), and Cyparagon for selling me a controller and a fan. This wouldn't have been possible without these guys, and this laser would probably still be sitting on my kitchen counter as the most expensive, heaviest, largest paperweight ever if it weren't for them, so thank you guys.

Last edited:

Encap

Re: JDS Uniphase 2214-20SLMD laser on the way!

Very nice find!
Something different, something special.
Best of luck with it!

The argon-ion laser was invented in 1964 by William Bridges at [[Hughes Aircraft] and is one of a family of ion lasers that use a noble gas as the active medium.
Argon-ion lasers are used for retinal phototherapy (for diabetes), lithography, and pumping other lasers. Argon-ion lasers emit at 13 wavelengths through the visible, ultraviolet, and near-visible spectrum, including: 351.1 nm, 363.8 nm, 454.6 nm, 457.9 nm, 465.8 nm, 476.5 nm, 488.0 nm, 496.5 nm, 501.7 nm, 514.5 nm, 528.7 nm, 1092.3 nm
Which lines actually lase are sensitive to both tube current and gas pressure and thus the color balance (relative intensity of the various wavelengths) will shift as the tube heats up and with age.

Sam's has a lot of information on them here: Sam's Laser FAQ - Argon/Krypton Ion Lasers

Last edited:

diachi

Going by the model number this is a 20mW 488nm head. The SL denotes single line, 488nm. ML for multi-line, GL for green line and so on. The two numbers before SL tell you the rated power, in this case 20mW. It did come with a power supply too, right? :D

A fan/ducting where required is always nice too, although they don't always come with one.

Controller schematics can be found on Sam's FAQ if you didn't get a controller with it - Can usually get away with a DB25 connector, some wire, a pot or two and a DMM. You *don't* want to run it full tilt all the time, they are designed to run at 8A tube current. They'll run 10A but this will substantially reduce the life of the tube if you run at those currents constantly.

Congrats by the way! :D

Last edited:

Going by the model number this is a 20mW 488nm head. It did come with a power supply too, right? :D

A fan/ducting where required is always nice too, although they don't always come with one.

Yep, it comes with the PSU. I'm pretty sure it has a fan. The label in the images said 450-515nm and 500mW output, so i hope your wrong XD

Im' not expecting 500mW, but it certainly would be nice if that's what it outputted, although i would try to lower the amperage to something less crazy, for a longer life.

diachi

Yep, it comes with the PSU. I'm pretty sure it has a fan. The label in the images said 450-515nm and 500mW output, so i hope your wrong XD

Im' not expecting 500mW, but it certainly would be nice if that's what it outputted, although i would try to lower the amperage to something less crazy, for a longer life.

Those heads can't do 500mW (maybe if you rammed 20A down the bore with ML optics on, which would rather quickly cause the head to catch on fire), the warning label just says 0.5W and 450-515nm to cover all bases and a variety of models. Same thing on all of those JDSU heads. Spectra Physics heads are the same.

Actually, my SP head says 454nm to 676nm @ 200mW, even though it has single line only optics for 488nm and has no chance in hell of even coming close to 200mW. Argon doesn't even *have* a line at 676nm, so it's probably a generic sticker that covers Kr and Ar/Kr heads.

Unless the model number you have is wrong, it is single line 488nm and 20mW. That said, if it's in fairly good health I'd expect it to be capable of 30-40mW. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)

Always good to have a PSU :D

Last edited:

Those heads can't do 500mW (maybe if you rammed 20A down the bore, which would rather quickly cause the head to catch on fire), the warning label just says 0.5W and 450-515nm to cover all bases and a variety of models. Same thing on all of those JDSU heads. Spectra Physics heads are the same.

Actually, my SP head says 454nm to 676nm @ 200mW, even though it has single line only optics for 488nm and has no chance in hell of even coming close to 200mW. Argon doesn't even *have* a line at 676nm, so it's probably a generic sticker that covers Kr and Ar/Kr heads.

Unless the model number you have is wrong, it is single line 488nm and 20mW. That said, if it's in fairly good health I'd expect it to be capable of 30-40mW. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)

Always good to have a PSU :D

Ok, good to know. i think ill be happy with it, i only spent $250 shipped on it, so it was a pretty good deal, even if it only does 15mW of 488nm.

diachi

Ok, good to know. i think ill be happy with it, i only spent $250 shipped on it, so it was a pretty good deal, even if it only does 15mW of 488nm.

Yep, that's still a pretty decent deal - considering shipping these beasts is usually half the cost! :D At the least, it'll hopefully get you hooked on gas lasers. ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

488nm is an AWESOME colour. By far my favourite.

Last edited:

Yep, that's still a pretty decent deal - considering shipping these beasts is usually half the cost! :D At the least, it'll hopefully get you hooked on gas lasers. ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

488nm is an AWESOME colour.

yeah. i'm already thinking of a HeNe, but i've bought this thing, so ill have to wait a while. would be sick to build a copper laser, imagine 10W of yellow and green.

diachi

yeah. i'm already thinking of a HeNe, but i've bought this thing, so ill have to wait a while. would be sick to build a copper laser, imagine 10W of yellow and green.

HeNe is a good choice! Bare tubes look awesome, and there's a bunch of wavelengths to choose from.

That would be nice - that said, it'd be a heck of a lot easier just to buy one.

You'd also want to go with Copper Bromide or Copper Chloride, the boiling point for those is much lower than just pure copper, which makes the tube design easier. That said, the power supply for such a laser is incredibly dangerous and possibly rather expensive depending on how you go about it.

The nice thing about Cu vapour lasers is the efficiency, I've seen a combined ~10W of green/gold produced from a laser running off of a standard 13A 230V plug. An Argon laser running that kind of power is going to need 60A three phase service and water cooling.

Some of them will even lase out of both ends without cavity mirrors ... or at least, as far as I've read. You can definitely get them to lase with only an HR mirror.

Last edited:

HeNe is a good choice! Bare tubes look awesome, and there's a bunch of wavelengths to choose from.

That would be nice - that said, it'd be a heck of a lot easier just to buy one.

You'd also want to go with Copper Bromide or Copper Chloride, the boiling point for those is much lower than just pure copper, which makes the tube design easier. That said, the power supply for such a laser is incredibly dangerous and possibly rather expensive depending on how you go about it.

yeah, but i've never seen one for sale though, have you?

diachi

yeah, but i've never seen one for sale though, have you?

Yes, just the other week. Think it was on either the PhotonLexicon Facebook group or the Laserist Facebook group. Used medical systems come up from time to time.

Oh yeah, the other thing, they are pulsed (A requirement for Copper Bromide/Chloride vapor). So as if 10W output isn't dangerous enough, they are doing a few kW peak power.

Last edited:

Yes, just the other week. Think it was on either the PhotonLexicon Facebook group or the Laserist Facebook group. Used medical systems come up from time to time.

Oh yeah, the other thing, they are pulsed. So as if 10W output isn't dangerous enough, they are doing a few kW peak power.

yeah i was reading about them, they are scary... but 10W of yellow!!! totally worth it, shinning 10W of yellow upwards to space would look sick, and the ISS could probably see it clear as day.

also, zraffleticket is selling a single line, 20mW argon for like $250+shipping, so someone should definitely consider his if they want an argon.

Last edited:

diachi

yeah i was reading about them, they are scary... but 10W of yellow!!! totally worth it, shinning 10W of yellow upwards to space would look sick, and the ISS could probably see it clear as day.

also, zraffleticket is selling a single line, 20mW argon for like $250+shipping, so someone should definitely consider his if they want an argon.

It sure does look awesome :D We had a CuBr at a couple of the UKLEMs, cool to see in action. I think it was the most powerful system we had there until someone brought a laserscope and started scanning with 40W...

Nice of you to post that heads up! :)

Edit: One more thing, this thread is useless without pictures ... you know, for when your laser arrives! :D

Last edited:

It sure does look awesome :D We had a CuBr at a couple of the UKLEMs, cool to see in action. I think it was the most powerful system we had there until someone brought a laserscope and started scanning with 40W...

Nice of you to post that heads up! :)

Edit: One more thing, this thread is useless without pictures ... you know, for when your laser arrives! :D

of course there will be pics! along with the rest of my rainbow, so plenty of that LAZ0R PR0N we all need.

Encap

I agree 100% .

Is exciting when someone gets something that is not more of the same old same old ---commonly available diode lasers.

Lots of pictures are necessary! Some great beam shots would be a good start to show the beautiful color of 488nm.

I agree 100% .

Is exciting when someone gets something that is not more of the same old same old ---commonly available diode lasers.

Lots of pictures are necessary! Some great beam shots would be a good start to show the beautiful color of 488nm.

totally. im also going to have it as part of the rest of my rainbow, so look forward to 900mW of 405nm, 1-2W of 445nm, 20mW of 488nm (might be overwhelmed), 100mW of 532nm, and 900mW of 635nm, all together, all beam enhanced.

Reactions: GSS