Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob MXDL 250mw custom laser, THE BEAST !

The following commentary is my genuine reflection of THE BEAST...the customized MXDL laser that is made by Jayrob - and it is SAWEEEET !

Okay folks, THIS is the genuine DIY "God" of lasers ! The absolute perfect attention to detail - the impeccable machining of the heatsink, the rubber aperture cover, the labels on the body of the laser, they all scream professionalism ! Jayrob goes above and beyond to provide a perfect specimen of a laser to the picky enthusiast. The laser was extremely well packed, and delivered swiftly ! Anyone who is interested in purchasing this type of custom made laser needs to PM him ASAP, or check out his online ordering form here :

http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/

This laser is very rugged looking, and feeling. The weight of it will surprise you ! It is not an uncomfortable weight, it suits this laser perfectly. Jayrob added an aperture cover <little rubber clicky boot !> that matches the finish on the laser - and even though he warned me, in an email, and in the instruction manual - I STILL left that sucker on the aperture when I first powered it up !
<DUH !>

This laser was labeled at 258.3mw - he built it with a custom turned heatsink, and used a classic LM317 circuit to drive this baby at 468mA, using a Sony Optiarc Open Can diode ! Jayrob used the classic Aixiz 12mmX30mm Laser module with acrylic lens - he enlarged the back of the Aixiz lens to allow all the gorgeous photons to blast out the aperture ! It is powered by two Trustfire 16340 (RCR-123) 880mAh 3.6 V Li-ion PROTECTED cells. Using protected cells was VERY smart - because when using such a highly heatsinked laser as this, it would be easy to push the limits, and leave it on as long as you wanted to - thus draining the batteries dry, and killing them forever, or worse yet - risking EXPLOSION ! There is no risk of any of that, as the recommended duty cycle is well documented, in the full color handy-dandy instruction manual that was included with the laser :) In the paperwork, he even tells you how to disassemble the laser - AS IF I WOULD ! The instruction manual is very well written, everything is documented - this is a great idea to include with a laser ! Most major retailers do not even do that !

I have named this particular laser, "The Beast". The Beast puts out OVER 288 MILLIWATTS ! I measured it on a thermal meter that is accurate to a "T". That is the peak output - it then settles down to a very comfy 284mw for the long haul. I have NOT recharged these batteries since I received the laser - I have, however removed them to document the brand, model, and type of batteries, and check out the tail clicky switch :) <what can I say - clickies are cool !> This is a constant on/off <wait, did I mention the 288mw ?? WOW !> type of laser, and the head of it is designed with little grooves in it, that prevent it from rolling off the table - which would be a true disaster for The Beast. I am sure it could probably handle the drop - but there is NO WAY I am going to risk that ! ;)

I will be adding pictures, and some video within the next two days <been swamped> and I know you will like what you see ! This is a truly damned nice piece of work - it is going into a padded case, and coming out for special occasions - the performance is incredible !

**edit fixed my freaking typo :( **
**edit added lens info !**

<reserved for photos>

Here are the much anticipated photos of, "THE BEAST" !

I cannot say enough good things about this laser - the first photos are here and ready, more to follow, as well as a movie or two - just in case you are having difficulties with making a decision on whether to get one or not, this laser is worth it - very sturdy, very reliable, extremely well crafted, and documented !

Showing a comparison in size to some other lasers - Jay's MXDL on top <go figure !>
from left to right, a 50mw DX greenie, 11mw Tesla Neko Blu-Ray, SenKat_Dorcy Jr, Wicked Lasers' Phoenix, and a beat up SenTorch !

IMG_0017M.jpg

Another size comparison shot, with THE BEAST to the far left !

IMG_0018M.jpg

THE BEAST laid out, sitting on the instruction sheet that comes with each one of these beautiful lasers ! The little rubber aperture cap is laying in front of the laser !

IMG_0019M.jpg

This shot shows how the aperture cap lights up when you are stupid, and ignore the written warning, REMINDING you to take it off before operation <DOH !>

IMG_0020M.jpg

A somewhat blurry "spot shot" showing THE BEAST on the left, and a 276mw Dorcy Jr on the right ! That "artifact" you see, making the dot distorted is only seen in the digital photo - in real life, it was NOT there ! VERY ODD !

IMG_0021M.jpg

Another shot, showing THE BEAST alongside the instructions !

IMG_0025M.jpg

Another "spot shot" in better lighting conditions - and another reminder that my lens on my camera needs cleaned ! See how much BRIGHTER THE BEAST's dot is (on the left) compared to one that is a little higher in output ? BOTH of those lasers use the "standard" Aixiz acrylic lens, by the way...I know that Jayrob can customize any of the orders on this laser, but if you get this bright of an output with the acrylic lens, I shudder to think how bright the Meredith Glass optic would be !

IMG_0027M.jpg

Here's another couple of "spot shot" showing off (from the left) the Jayrob BEAST, the Dorcy Jr, the Wicked Phoenix, and below that, the Tesla blu-ray :)

IMG_0028M.jpg

IMG_0029M.jpg

I call this one, "Ghost Cat" LOL ! 5 second exposure, and it completely saturates the camera !

IMG_0034M.jpg

This is a pretty nasty shot, but it shows off the output really well - taken from right in front of the barrel !

IMG_0038M.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, this laser puts out PLENTY of power ! Give one a spin, you will not be disappointed, for sure !

chido

Good thing you edited it, I was like a beast rated at 260mW but outputting 188mW??? :-? ;D
Anyway very nice review, is this using an acrylic lens or a glass lens?

Ya - What a typo :( Man - here I was all happy to get it up <quit it, Daguin> on the forum without incident - and BAM ! Stupid hits me, and HARD, too ! LOL ! Yes - it is putting out 288mw peak, 284mw constant - and he used the Aixiz acrylic lens with this build. I have updated the review with the lens info.

jayrob

Really great compliments there Greg! :D

Everybody knows that you will write what you find. If you find something you don't like, you will write it...

I thought you would like it. :) I sure hope it serves you well! Looking forward to your further review and pictures!

Thanks man,
Jay

P.S. It's good to know your thermal meter measurement in comparison to my LPM-1.

Nice pics! I hope the next ones are of some BURNING [smiley=evil.gif]

Oh - by the way - that Dorcy is a FREAK unit, from one of my older SLD1236VL diodes - I threw it together, and am scared to take it apart for fear it will die on me - I mean, it rattles, and everything :p NOT a quality build on my part - just damned lucky ! The REAL star here is the MXDL BEAST from Jayrob :)

jayrob

SenKat_Stonetek said:
Oh - by the way - that Dorcy is a FREAK unit, from one of my older SLD1236VL diodes - I threw it together, and am scared to take it apart for fear it will die on me - I mean, it rattles, and everything :p  NOT a quality build on my part - just damned lucky !  The REAL star here is the MXDL BEAST from Jayrob :)

Hey! Those pictures 'spice' up your review quite nicely! Video coming too?! Cool. :cool:

I like that 'ghost cat' picture.

Hey Greg, just curious about the on/off times your are using. Are you sticking to a duty cycle or anything? I mean, I've got three of these 'HOTTER' ones out there so far (470mA's), and it's all good still.

We know from Lava's graph that 470mA's is pushing the open can diodes pretty hard. That's why I normally build the driver at 420mA's. But maybe it's ok with my gnarly heatsink... Guess we shall see huh?
Jay

Attachments

• Long_Open_Can_-_Lava.jpg
    Long_Open_Can_-_Lava.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 201
The ONLY thing I completely bungled, and did not pay attention to for some STUPID reason was about the aperture cover - hence the picture of my stupidity :p I have been sticking to the 1 minute on, 30 seconds off duty cycle very strictly, although this is a BEAST, and the beefy heatsink should handle longer than that, It is too nice for me to run to death, so I am being very careful with it ! :cool:

jayrob

Hey nice little laser collection there by the way, (probably just a small handful from an innumerable 'pile')... I love that 'beat up' Sentorch. Lol! ;D

That one has withstood some rigorous testing...
Jay