Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I've done my research... now I need help deciding

Zhinkk

My last 2 days have been nothing but looking up lasers, reading reviews, understanding the technology, and I think I'm ready to purchase. Here are the candidates. Can someone help me choose? Excluding the glasses (I've already placed an order), I have a $100 budget (shipping has to be included in that).

I want to stick with green lasers because I will use this at night a lot and I want it to be very bright. I also do want it to be ABLE to burn easily but it won't be the main focus.

1. LP 532nm 150mW green PEN laser from laserbtb - $90 with shipping included
7D9doia.jpg

pros:
- only $80 with IR filter installed
- 150mW
- pen form (I actually like this, it's more portable)

cons:
- DPSS laser so temperature would have a big impact on this, I want to use this on cold nights also.
- pen form (lol). The reason I also listed this as a con is because I've read that the HL form is a better host than the pen because of heat absorbing and it can focus better (I want to burn, so this sounds important).
- Due to the things above, I don't think the duty cycle will be very long
- Doesn't seem to have any focus adjustment

2. HL 520nm 50mW from laserbtb - $100 with shipping included
qyCdqLR.jpg

pros:
- 520nm
- better host
- focusable
- Not a DPSS, so less affected by temperature
- single mode

cons:
- I could only afford the 50mW version of this. How much dimmer will this be than the 150mW pen above? How will it compare in terms of burning to #1? (considering it has focus?)
- Pretty sure that's the only con

3. SF501B 532nm Green from scifilaser - $65 with shipping included
D27FJZ8.jpg

pros:
- good host
- focusable
- Cheaaaap :)
- Can burn decently

cons:
- DPSS. Not really a con
- Not in stock. Not sure when it will be :(
- 80-120mW. I'm not sure exactly what I'll get. The one from laserbtb will for sure be around 150mW

Lucklaser, lazerer, and a few other sites also had some really great deals but I've heard some very bad things about them so I did not include them on here.

So sorry for such a long thread. I would appreciate ANY feedback, experiences, or maybe a laser I didn't list on here. You guys have been really helpful so far, thank you for that. :)

Last edited:

Rifter

The lack of being able to focus that DPSS pen is going to hurt its ability to burn. Also its duty cycle will be very low.

So I would go for either option 2 or 3. Probably 3 he is a good guy and on the forums to answer any questions you may have.

Zhinkk

The lack of being able to focus that DPSS pen is going to hurt its ability to burn. Also its duty cycle will be very low.

So I would go for either option 2 or 3. Probably 3 he is a good guy and on the forums to answer any questions you may have.

I guess this is very hard to just "guess" but HOW low do you think the duty cycle will be? Like, at least 60 seconds on/60 seconds off? Or even shorter than that? #3 has a 60 sec on/off duty cycle.

Any idea of how much brighter a 100mW 532nm beam (#3) will be compared to a 50mw 520nm (#2) beam?

Rifter

I guess this is very hard to just "guess" but HOW low do you think the duty cycle will be? Like, at least 60 seconds on/60 seconds off? Or even shorter than that? #3 has a 60 sec on/off duty cycle.

Any idea of how much brighter a 100mW 532nm beam (#3) will be compared to a 50mw 520nm (#2) beam?

It will be way worse than the # 3 option in the 501b host, probably 30/90 or somewhere in that range.

I would guess 2-3 times brighter but you can plug in the stats to this converter to get a accurate #.

Beam: (643nm 1mw) vs. (471nm 1mw)

Zhinkk

Thanks for the replies guys. #3 will be about 2.5x brighter than #2. That's a big jump... I guess I should just wait until thejoker has #3 in stock again?

Rifter

Thanks for the replies guys. #3 will be about 2.5x brighter than #2. That's a big jump... I guess I should just wait until thejoker has #3 in stock again?

That's what I would do, its worth the wait to get a quality product from a fourm member who will be able to help you with any issues that come up.

ADD:

Also worth mentioning that you could buy the PL520 diode/driver from DTR and then a 501B Host from Mrcrouse and throw it together yourself and end up with a 80mw(with 3 element/acrylic) or 100mw(with G2) single mode green laser for a little over your budget.

Last edited:

Zhinkk

That's what I would do, its worth the wait to get a quality product from a fourm member who will be able to help you with any issues that come up.

I think I'll do that, thanks man, I'm so indecisive. If anybody has other lasers that fit my budget, or any other opinions, please let me know :)

Rifter

I think I'll do that, thanks man, I'm so indecisive. If anybody has other lasers that fit my budget, or any other opinions, please let me know :)

I edited my post above to add that you could always build one yourself, to get more of what you want, a more powerful PL520 laser.

You should get the 520 i have the 100mw version and the 80mw pen from laserbtb, at fresh batteries they both as bright so i would imagine the 150mw pen be a little brighter then 50mw but since you cant focus the pens i wouldnt buy so high pen really but its up to you, it will for sure be very bright tho.

Zhinkk

Kevin replied to me from laserbtb and told me the duty cycle of the pen (#1) is 5s on 1s off. Which, in a way, is nice because I can get quick short bursts, but ehhh that could be annoying.

You should get the 520 i have the 100mw version and the 80mw pen from laserbtb, at fresh batteries they both as bright so i would imagine the 150mw pen be a little brighter then 50mw but since you cant focus the pens i wouldnt buy so high pen really but its up to you, it will for sure be very bright tho.

Yeah, the 50mW does sound like a good option for me, especially since it will be less affected by temperature and I want to use it on cold nights. However, do you know anything about the divergence? I've read that diode (#2 520nm) divergence will be worse than the DPSS laser (#3 100mW 532nm). On laserbtb, they list the 50mW 520nm as:

Range in darkness (m): 100-1000
M2 factor: <1.2
Beam divergence,full angle (mrad): <3.0
Beam Diameter at Aperture (mm): <2.5

Doesn't 1000m (so like 0.6miles) seem a little low for a laser I would want to use to point at stars/clouds? Would the 100mW DPSS laser from scifi lasers be better for this case?

Last edited: