Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I've decided on Eagle Pair Now which ones for 650nm?

Jinx

Correct you cant use mine for 405 nm.

They look better yes, if you have the correct OD vs WL graph....You could ask Garoq if he sells them and he might also be able to test and/ or confirm whether they will be suitable, before you buy?

Survival laser is a good company; dont worry!

Yup

You're reading it correctly. I dont know if Garoq has them, but you could always send him a PM he's very helpful! Here's a link to him: Garoq

Good luck :beer:

Just so I know is Garoq like the owner of survival laser or affiliated with them? (i'm still new here).

Thank you for your help!

Jinx

Thanks all for your help! i've gone with the greener ones after some talk with Garok, He says they ARE the same ones (gp13) that the eagle pair site shows, he just didnt feel completely comfortable with their claim of it being as low as 610 but it should work well for 650 that i plan to use it with for now!

So when i put these on, The less of the beam/dot i can see means the more protection i'm getting right?

Great glad to hear it!

Wrt you question..that's more or less true, but you shouldn't actually be able to see the beam!
With my 445 and blue/ green blocking eagle pair goggles I only see a yellow (fluorescence) dot and no blue what so ever. With the same glasses and a 5 mW green I can actually see the dot, but on an LPM it doesn't even register! The same happens with my second pair of red blocking eagle pairs; I can clearly see the dot of a 500 mW 635, but again nothing registers on the LPM.

Basically in some cases you'll see the coloured dot and in others only the fluorescence dot, but in all cases it should never be so intense that it is visibly too bright. So yes to answer your question; the less you can see, the better you are protected (provided you're dealing with visible wavelengths), but you must be able to see something otherwise you cant use the glasses! You wouldn't know where you are aiming the laser for a start! Anyway if you are unsure the best thing would be to check the glasses yourself with an LPM or ask someone else to. In any case I never stare at the dot, even when wearing the glasses...;)

Last edited:
So when i put these on, The less of the beam/dot i can see means the more protection i'm getting right?

Only if there is no wavelength shift. A wavelength shift of the same power can appear less bright just because your eyes are less sensitive to the wavelength. Imagine a 445nm laser shifting towards 405nm; it wouldn't appear as bright. Likewise with a laser moving from 635nm to 660nm.

Here are some luminous efficacy tables that show the lumens/W conversion for different wavelengths. Lumens measure perceived brightness of a wavelength. The higher, the brighter it appears. There's about an order of magnitude difference in lumens for 630nm to 660nm.

Conversely, a dot may appear brighter for certain wavelengths but still provide adequate protection. That's why you might want a higher OD for wavelengths such as 532nm just so it's comfortable to work with. For example, those ARG goggles have a huge OD7+, but the dot is about as bright for 532nm than it is for the OD3 for 635nm on the RB2 pair.

Last edited:

Jinx

I got my glasses yesterday! they are great!

I tried the laser at 200mw with them on, i can still see the dot, but its like VERY VERY fine tip dot with the glasses on. (i'm doing looking at it about 2 or 3 feet away hopefully thats not too close?).

without the classes on the beam is insanely bright and the dot looks huge becuase of how bright it is.

I assume they are doing their job?