Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is Thor M 2 1.6W good first powerful laser?

andresdelosreyes77

Hi! My name is Andrés and, I'm new in the world of laser pointers and I'd like to buy one of at least 1W or more.
After a BIG research ( I previously knew almost nothing), I saw really good comments on the Thor M 2 and I was decided to buy It, but I came across the oficial forum and decided to ask y'all about your opinion.
I intend to buy the 1.6w Thor M2, the 3x magnification optical expander and safety glasses, what do you think? Great choice? Bad one? Anything you'd include or take out of the list? I dont really mind spending little more money, but not a lot more

Last edited:

julianthedragon

In my honest opinion it sounds like even though you feel like you've done a lot of research you should wait a bit on this one. If you're set on a powerful laser, I'd go for something in the 100-500mw range first with safety glasses and get used to working with powerful lasers before you go for 1.6W. At 1.6W, you could set fire to many materials by accident. You could permanently harm yourself or others by just being close to the dot on the wall without glasses. I've heard good things about Thor elsewhere on the internet but I doubt that anyone hear will sing its praises, usually Sanwu and Jet Lasers are more celebrated on the forum. And for glasses please grab a pair from Laserglow, might be a bit pricier but worth it for your eyes. (100-500mw is still seriously powerful--you can cut dark plastics, pop balloons, light matches easily. Ideally start with <5mw for your first pointer)

andresdelosreyes77

In my honest opinion it sounds like even though you feel like you've done a lot of research you should wait a bit on this one. If you're set on a powerful laser, I'd go for something in the 100-500mw range first with safety glasses and get used to working with powerful lasers before you go for 1.6W. At 1.6W, you could set fire to many materials by accident. You could permanently harm yourself or others by just being close to the dot on the wall without glasses. I've heard good things about Thor elsewhere on the internet but I doubt that anyone hear will sing its praises, usually Sanwu and Jet Lasers are more celebrated on the forum. And for glasses please grab a pair from Laserglow, might be a bit pricier but worth it for your eyes. (100-500mw is still seriously powerful--you can cut dark plastics, pop balloons, light matches easily. Ideally start with <5mw for your first pointer)
I understand... I'll consider your comment, I've used previously a Green 70 mW laser and you're quite right, at only that power, It still was impressively bright in the night, so the first thing I'll buy Will be high quality safety glasses.Besides, can I ask you about laserpointerstore ? Is It a reliable website?
Even though I've read that Sanwu and Jetlasers are like really high quality, I do not intend to spend that much money for the first one 😅
Thanks for answering!

julianthedragon

I understand... I'll consider your comment, I've used previously a Green 70 mW laser and you're quite right, at only that power, It still was impressively bright in the night, so the first thing I'll buy Will be high quality safety glasses.Besides, can I ask you about laserpointerstore ? Is It a reliable website?
Even though I've read that Sanwu and Jetlasers are like really high quality, I do not intend to spend that much money for the first one 😅
Thanks for answering!
Thanks for taking my comment into consideration. I always feel like a buzzkill with things like this but safety really is important 😅. I can't vouch for laserpointerstore since I've never ordered from there, but I've heard good and bad things.

andresdelosreyes77

Thanks for taking my comment into consideration. I always feel like a buzzkill with things like this but safety really is important 😅. I can't vouch for laserpointerstore since I've never ordered from there, but I've heard good and bad things.
Okay buddy, then I will do some more research and post further news later😄