Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this the solution to cheap eye protection for r

SMIDSY

I have got a pair of WL OD 2+ goggles so no flaming... ;)

BUT

I have some 3D glasses (with the red and blue filters) For my red 100mW laser if you want to watch AS AN OBSERVER not actually the one burning, by layering 2 of the blue films over each other- it block out nearly all the light that the WL goggles do....

Is this safe?!

I assume I can use the red glasses on low powered greens to make green goggles but again Im not sure of safety....

Can someone with a powermeter conclusively show that the glasses will or will not help with protection?

I have done dot tests and the dot from the 100mW is LESS than the dot of a 5mW and is more like 1mW....

chido

Re: Is this the solution to cheap eye protection f

They would offer some protection, but I don't think they're worth making, I don't remember where that thread is, but some other guy tried it and the laser burned through the plastic after a few seconds. Look at this other thread.

Amnizu

They might be safe for a very diffuse reflection, but a direct exposure would almost certainly melt the plastic clean through.

SMIDSY

Im not talking about DIRECT exposure, Im talking about reflections off a match when burning for spectators...

that sounds like a good idea to me
green still might need to worry about ir yet putting on the ir filters can prevent that.
red doesnt carry any other waveleanth so if it blocks most of the visible red, sounds good
hm i want to try it

Amnizu said:
They might be safe for a very diffuse reflection, but a direct exposure would almost certainly melt the plastic clean through.
im sure you can melt it if you wanted to but this would be very hard to do unless your holding the laser steady at the film
this would work for lower powerd lasers

SMIDSY

I would agree- any one with a power meter who can test it? ;)

I have a meter and have tried this with lighting gels which are thicker and designed to cope with heat.
Even a 150mw red burns straight through 1 or 2 layers of filter too fast to get a reading.
There is always a _chance_ of accidental direct reflection so this is not a safe idea. Cheap goggles are available for ~$20 for one wavelength which are the best option for observer protection.

SMIDSY

tell me where I can get goggles for that price and I'm sold! ;D

mliptack did a GB a while ago, it may be still going. Dichros, mounts, goggles and some other stuff.

Things

They will protect against the VISIBLE radiation, but red is basically clear for IR. This doesnt really matter since even the best goggles cant block IR and green..... It would be OK for a temporary solution, but if you are thinking of having lasers for a long time goggles are the best investment youll make it the laser decides to hit you in the eye!!!

Amnizu

The answer is no, buy some damn goggles. Eyesight is precious. Why would you want to cheap out on your eyes?

I don't get it. If you are in this hobby you know it's going to be expensive. Yeah, I know that the goggles aren't going to emit a nice green, red, or blue beam and they will affect how well you see the beam from your laser but, damn, crack open your wallet and buy the necessary safety equipment designed specifically to protect your vision and rated to protect you for 10 seconds with a direct exposure. The safety side of the hobby is just as important as that laser you are playing with and it's something you must consider as the cost of the hobby when buying lasers.

I've been in the laser business a long time and I've built lasers since I was 14. In all that time, I never, even once, considered building my own eye protection. You may not like it but anyone who thinks they can protect themselves or others with homebuilt eye protection is a FOOL and deserves the criminal or civil consequences associated with it.

[/rant off]

Amnizu

I agree completely.

I don't know about you and your concerns but, the safe way to view anything you are unsure about is to get out your digital camera and let it see things for you. I would gladly lose the camera over losing my eye(s). Just set the camera inside a opaque sheet and watch on a monitor screen behind it.

SN

i have built eye ware once for my true 30