Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this Diode burnt?

i really appreciate all the help ^_^

2 last pictures let me know if everything looks right with the readings im getting.

one is volts and one is amps which the amps is in series

Attachments

• IMGP2155.jpg
    IMGP2155.jpg
    946.2 KB · Views: 252

donno man loks fine... BTW those are readings with diode hooked up in parallel? kool. Prolly damage from accidental shorting, or bad soldering

Gazoo

The readings look good...now you need to find out why your diodes died. When you first hooked up your diode did you have everything connected before you applied power to the circuit? Were all of your connections good? Wrapping the wires around the probes for measuring is not a very good idea If the connection is lost for even a millisecond..its bye, bye diode.

Those pictures are perfect there. They show exactly how well the driver is performing, and they confirm that you have the right settings for it. The downside is that if the laser is that dim with those current and voltage readings, it means that it probably is damaged. :( It's still functional as you can plainly see, but either the window on the front of the laser can and/or the other internals have taken enough of a beating to no longer function properly. The fast heating is another sign that there is something indeed wrong.

thx everyone for your help i just am upset that they are dead :( i was so excited.

i just saw this and wanted to post it, could this be a problem, it looks like it was hammered in to the case, or could the USPS have droped the package and killed them?

i have a ton of respect for you guys THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Attachments

• IMGP2160.JPG
    IMGP2160.JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 239
It looks like a usual press-fit mark to me. These diodes are a royal pain in the arse to mount in the Aixiz housing, so marks like that are expected.

While the USPS is known for dropping packages, if the laser was properly secured, it shouldn't have caused an issue. The output still looks relatively clean (even for a dead laser), so I doubt it was damaged in transit.

i would say it is goooonnnnee.

long line like that is a baaad indicator...

That single, long line is the typical output pattern of this particular laser diode. It's generally agreed that it isn't a pleasant thing, but it is an expected artifact of the group buy diodes and their production design. It is, however, usually more diminished in comparison to the primary output.

sigh, looks like senkat's vise is messing up, my last diode was similar to that on the case (cept it looked like a bad plyers job) (preinstalled) and it was put in slightly at an angle, so i had to fix it. I think something went wrong, as tha is NO WAY senkats job, not even I do it that bad... defenitely either u damaged it, or something happened.

regards,

amk

Gazoo

Something does look very odd with the way the diode is mounted. It looks like part of the diode was cut off and a shim was put in its place...lol. But I know it isn't. Photos can be deceiving, but not that deceiving. I find it hard to believe the diode was pressed in with a vice using the barrel of the aixiz module, but I could be wrong.

S

SenKat

I have a small socket that I place over the pins of the diodes when I press fit them into the modules. Marks like that in no way affect the operation of the diodes. And as an FYI - no hammers were used.

what about soldering, i have thought about what i could have done wrong and the only thing i can think of is soldering. i put solder on the wire and then let it cool and then attached to the diode as quick as i could. i didnt think i could have heated it to much because i touched the wire to melt the solder and it was under a second.

just wondering does everyone solder wire to them and not have any problems?
how sensitive are these diodes when you solder them?
should i find a clip or something that i can clamp onto the LD's so it gets absolutly no heat from the soldering gun?

once again thank you everyone for your help ^^

S

SenKat

To be honest, your soldering job looks very good on the diode. The only weak part I see is hte wire-wrapping. You should NEVER do that, as one intermittent connection WILL smoke a diode. There is no going back after doing wires like that. I would always suggest you use a heat sinking clip when soldering to diodes.