Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is This a Good Laser Testing Area..?

when my new laser comes i would like to set up my fog machines and take full advantage of some amazing beam shots. The only problem is that the laser i am getting leaks IR. If it helps, im getting the ultrafire 20mW from DX.

Here is the testing area i would like to use.
A quick update...: the area is around 25 feet but i can go up to about 35 feet.

05-28-08_1051.jpg

05-28-08_1050.jpg

Switch

Yea sure it is.You might want a bigger space for divergence measurements, but other than that, it's fine.I'm also curious if you'll test it's waterproofness :D

im thinking about it. but im going to make sure i put a little silicone in the seals before i do that ;)

VW

Yeah, that's plenty of space, just watch for reflective objects and it's all good.  When the beam gets scattered of an object or wall, it isn't usually powerful enough to do any serious damage at 20mW.  If you're exposed to it at close range for too long, it may strain your eyes a little, but I wouldn't expect serious eye damage.  That being said, don't take that as an advantage to get close to the dot, because you never want to risk it, but generally it's okay.  Anything over 50mW + would start to become a serious hazard in an enclosed space and you would have to start wearing propper protective goggles, but yeah, with a 20mW laser you should be fine for now... Just remember one thing, never shine it in anyone's eye, wheter that be directly or from a reflection...

alright i gotcha. the only problem is that it has been said to output more than 20mW of green and another 20mW of IR

VW

bobobob121 said:
alright i gotcha. the only problem is that it has been said to output more than 20mW of green and another 20mW of IR
Like I say it's relatively low power, but it's just a matter of being concious of your surroundings and not looking directly down the beam. IR can leak in a wider radius than the beam it's self, so even being away from the beam slightly can still leave you exposed. But yeah, I shouldn't be too worried about that kind of power level, you just have to be careful. It's a common cause of not having the IR filtered, a bummer but you have to deal with it.

so wait, if im looking from my laser down the beam i can get IR? or do you mean looking towards the laser beam coming out of the aperture?" the laser is pointed towards me"

roSSco

With the laser pointed towards you, there is a chance of IR exposure. ;)

alright, thats what i figured. I thought he was telling me that if i looked down "the barrel" in the same direction as the laser was pointed that i would get IR.

VW

bobobob121 said:
so wait, if im looking from my laser down the beam i can get IR? or do you mean looking towards the laser beam coming out of the aperture?" the laser is pointed towards me"
Yeah, I always concidered to be looking down into the beam, and up with the beam... If you look into the beam you can get IR exposure...

Switch

If you look INTO the beam you're gonna get green exposure, which is far worse than IR exposure ::)

Anyway, the beam appears the brightest when you're looking towards the laser. :p

L4sers

I dont get this away and towards and down. Please explain before anything happens to my eyes.