Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there a way to check for polarity protection on modules?

On MANY occasions I have inserted the battery the wrong way. (standard red & green modules) Nothing happens. Flip it around and it goes on. No Problem. I assumed they all pretty much did this.
In the last two days I have destroyed three modules. ( 2 green, 1 red) putting them in new hosts. EVERYTHING CHECKS OUT PERFECTLY. All connections, nothing touching where it shouldn't.
Really not that complicated.
However it is highly possible I started off with batteries inserted the wrong way. It is my own fault I just didn't give it much though because I thought it didn't matter. If wrong I would flip it.
Now when hooked in reverse nothing happens, when correct the board gets REAL HOT REAL FAST.
Of course in the future I will be VERY careful but is there a way to check to see if the board has protection?
This is the only thing I can think of that may have happened.

Some drivers do have reverse polarity protection but
a lot of the cheaper Lasers don't.

If not sure contact the seller for orientation...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

You can use a standard lm317 driver but with a very small filter cap and set to a low current (30mA perhaps?) and connect it to the main driver in reverse. If current flows when you apply power, it probably isn't protected.

Attempt at your own risk :shhh:

Was hoping for something "visual" or a simple continuity test (which doesn't seem to work).
Example, some green modules have a full size resistor, some don't. Don't know why.