Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there a trick to the long range "burning red laser"?

I just got two 250mw "burning red laser" units from Lazerer. (these are no longer on their site, only up to 200).
There is a video showing them lite a match at 139", 11 1/2 ft.

200mW 650nm Burning Red Laser Module w/ Battery Case

Any way, the best I can do is pop a balloon at about 8 ft and light a match at 2 feet.
How do they do it?
I measured the out put and both are putting out 254-256mw.
Also I was planning on taking them apart to put in hosts but they are the type with the cord coming out the back of the module with a battery box and appear to be one piece permanently put together.
Anybody know if these can be taken apart?

DrSid

Where is the video ?

Just try to focus it better. 11 feet should be no problem.

DrSid

Strange. I could not see the video in firefox, now i see it on my phone. Can you achieve the same dot size over the distance ? Should be easy, as their dot is not very small. They can also have different matches. There are huge differenced betwen them. Find some dark black, not glossy ones, not brown ones. Simply experiment.

I had green matches but used a black marker to blacken them. I'll keep trying.
I also wanted to set it up to run on 18650 but cant get it apart.

joeyss

You need to turn the focus head very slightly. I use a piece of black plastic to help me tell if it's focused when i burn with my laser. It's easy to burn and you can tell how well you focused it by the size of the hole.