Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my laser underpowered?

I ordered my DL Viper 125mw a few months ago, I'm not sure if it is up to spec. I don't have a laser meter to test it. However, compared to other videos it seems a lot less bright compared to them.

YouTube - Green Laser Show - Viper laser pointer 125mW - My beam has never appeared that solid.

YouTube - Green laser pointer laser beam indoors - high mW - Same here, the makers claimed they didn't use steam or smoke.

Is there a possibly way to roughly determine the power of the laser without using a laser power meter?

I ordered my DL Viper 125mw a few months ago, I'm not sure if it is up to spec. I don't have a laser meter to test it. However, compared to other videos it seems a lot less bright compared to them.

YouTube - Green Laser Show - Viper laser pointer 125mW - My beam has never appeared that solid.

YouTube - Green laser pointer laser beam indoors - high mW - Same here, the makers claimed they didn't use steam or smoke.

Is there a possibly way to roughly determine the power of the laser without using a laser power meter?

Why not use a simple LPM that sell's for right about $40 US
It will test up to 120Mw Red and Green and would take out the guess work. ;)
Just a thought. (and only because the price is right )

Calibrated Laser Power Meter Sensor Module <----

Last edited:
But would a laser like mine normally be that visible, like in the videos? I want to be able to determine this without doing that. In a lit room, would the beam really be that thick, and visible?

no they are not like that unless your in the fog or smoke if it lights a match a dark matck in like 2-3 seconds it should be 100 mw or more

It took about 10 seconds to light a match. Does anyone have a non-touched up photo of what a 125mw beam would look like?

first off the match may need to be sharpeed colored black let it dry of good
then a new set of batts in it my infinity will only light about ten matches fast then it gets weaker and takes longer but if it lights a match its a pretty powerfull unit

also divergence or beam specs may be affecting it could be 200 mw but a larger beam or poorly collaminated beam is less likely to light a match

Last edited:
Ok. I put in new batteries and I was able to light a match within about 2 seconds. I just had to shine in just the right spot.