Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my laser broken?

So i got 2 exactly the same green laser pointers both anywhere between 30-50mW (i do not have an LPM so i can't really know the real output)

Now one of them has always been a little bit weaker which was clearly vissible by it having a smaller dot then the other one

But yesterday i noticed that the weaker laser now needs 1-2 seconds to come to full power.. when i turn it on it is first very dim with a small dot and about 1 second later it is like someone pushed a switch to make it more powerfull

My other laser doesn't have this problem and is very bright and powerful from the moment i push the button.
Also my weaker laser seems the sometimes just turn off or very very dim when i move it quickly or turn it upside down which is something my other laser also doesn't have...

Since they are both the same type of laser from the same store this makes me think the weaker one might be broken or have a defect?

Last edited:

Nah, probably your battery just sagging down into low volts.

Try fresh battery / recharge this one (whatever you currently have).

Nah, probably your battery just sagging down into low volts.

Try fresh battery / recharge this one (whatever you currently have).

Thanks for the reply

I just switched the batteries and it did make it shine brighter and more stable(it doesn't turn off or dim when i move it)
I hope this is was what caused the problem but if it happens again tonight then i will know for sure that it wasn't the batteries cuz now it has new ones.

If you're using a pen laser, one solution is to use, instead of 2x Alkalines, use 1x Lithium ion and a metal spacer.

It worked BEAUTIFULLY for a pen I once had, no more stability issues. I had exact ones you're describing, when battery becomes too weak, it takes longer to start up, it dims faster, mode hops, etc etc etc.

Lithium ion - rock solid output, start to end. And it's rechargeable, saved a ton of money. Well... after already wasting a ton on alkalines :p

If you're using a pen laser, one solution is to use, instead of 2x Alkalines, use 1x Lithium ion and a metal spacer.

It worked BEAUTIFULLY for a pen I once had, no more stability issues. I had exact ones you're describing, when battery becomes too weak, it takes longer to start up, it dims faster, mode hops, etc etc etc.

Lithium ion - rock solid output, start to end. And it's rechargeable, saved a ton of money. Well... after already wasting a ton on alkalines :p

That's the kind of battery i've been looking for! cuz now i have to buy new batteries every week -.-'

Could you point me to a site which sells those batteries as cheap as possible? and also i would like to know where to get a metal spacer ^^

Check out Fasttech. You can get some good batteries there, and they sell all kinds of flat, disk neodymium magnets that you can use as spacers. And, you can even find buckyball magnets!

Check out Fasttech. You can get some good batteries there, and they sell all kinds of flat, disk neodymium magnets that you can use as spacers. And, you can even find buckyball magnets!

Thanks for the info! i will deffinetely check it out! :)

I'm sure i've seen them on DX or fasttech too

*EDIT* HERE is some

or even better HERE

Last edited: