Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my hene dying?

mdhcraft

When I use it it sometimes flicks off for a split second then comes back on. It also seems to have a little struggle striking. Would a soak fix these problem? It's kind of old so I understand that there will probably be problems.

Anthony P

The first rule of trouble-shooting a HeNe is always suspect the power supply first. Do you have another supply to try? Ballast resistors cook sometimes, which can cause the behavior you are describing.

mdhcraft

The first rule of trouble-shooting a HeNe is always suspect the power supply first. Do you have another supply to try? Ballast resistors cook sometimes, which can cause the behavior you are describing.
I sadly do not have another psu to test it with.

I would suspect the driver/supply over the tube as well. Which tube does it use? If you would like. I could troubleshoot it for you free of charge if you pay for shipping. Send me a PM if you are interested.

mdhcraft

I would suspect the driver/supply over the tube as well. Which tube does it use? If you would like. I could troubleshoot it for you free of charge if you pay for shipping. Send me a PM if you are interested.
iirc it's an 1103p

mdhcraft

It's relatively old (i'm pretty sure its from the 80s) and I don't really feel like trying to get it tested, but thanks for the offer. I may sell it for cheap cause I need some extra money.

mdhcraft

So I tried it and it seems to work fine now. But I still don't trust it.

Howdy.
So in my experience with He-Nes over the decades Ive found that as the tube ages and the gas gets buried by slow sputtering. The tube needs higher voltage / current to run. On the side of the power supply brick if you have the potted brick type, there sometimes is a small potentiometer that can be adjusted. Try turning that up a quarter turn.