Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my diode dead?

JFrost

I'll be the first to admit I am a total laser noob and forum noob. Today while assembling my first laser (lpc-815) using a 5mm tact switch that has 4 contacts, 2 on the right and 2 on the left. I made the rookie mistake of soldering it incorrectly which effective made the circuit constant on. I then went to solder my diode to the board. I noticed the diode powered up when I made contact and thought oh s*!t. I pulled the battery and finished soldering but now all I get out of my moduel is a dim red light.... :cryyy:

Is it ruined?

mfo

I'll be the first to admit I am a total laser noob and forum noob. Today while assembling my first laser (lpc-815) using a 5mm tact switch that has 4 contacts, 2 on the right and 2 on the left. I made the rookie mistake of soldering it incorrectly which effective made the circuit constant on. I then went to solder my diode to the board. I noticed the diode powered up when I made contact and thought oh s*!t. I pulled the battery and finished soldering but now all I get out of my moduel is a dim red light.... :cryyy:

Is it ruined?

Yup, it's now an LED. Sorry for the loss, but don't worry. I initially killed 5 PHR's when I was learning to solder the diodes to the drivers :p

JFrost

Bummer.... Oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience...
(just ordered two more lpc-185's) What actually happens to the diode to cause the "led effect" ?

mfo

Bummer.... Oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience...
(just ordered two more lpc-185's) What actually happens to the diode to cause the "led effect" ?

True. Be grateful it was one diode and not five :p

Uhh, I'm not exactly sure what goes on in there physically when you kill a diode. What you did to the diode was supplied it with too much current, which fried the insides. I'm guessing you caused the elements inside of the diode to break down :p

D

Deleted member 8382

I neither do know why diodes turn into leds when they die. Could someone explain?

mfo

I'm sure PullBangDead will chime in as always :)

All diodes break down when in use. Its a slow process when used with the right currant. As with anything, the more energy pushed through an element, the quicker the breakdown. When you push it too much you can actually melt the gold wires that connect to the element.

JFrost

All diodes break down when in use. Its a slow process when used with the right currant. As with anything, the more energy pushed through an element, the quicker the breakdown. When you push it too much you can actually melt the gold wires that connect to the element.

So why does to still produce light?

The element is not totally toast. You didnt melt the wires, you just degraded the element to the point it does not lase anymore.

I'm not a scientist, and I'm sure there is waaay more to it than what I'm saying.

daguin

This is the layman's description.

In this instance what has "broken down" is the reflective surfaces of the crystal. In order for lasing to occur, the photons MUST "bounce" back and forth inside the crystal until it is "full." Only then will the coherent photons escape.

When the "mirrors" break down, the photons escape as soon as they are produced. It is then an LED instead of a laser. You still get light, but it is not high powered or coherent.

Peace,
dave

JFrost

This is the layman's description.

In this instance what has "broken down" is the reflective surfaces of the crystal. In order for lasing to occur, the photons MUST "bounce" back and forth inside the crystal until it is "full." Only then will the coherent photons escape.

When the "mirrors" break down, the photons escape as soon as they are produced. It is then an LED instead of a laser. You still get light, but it is not high powered or coherent.

Peace,
dave

Thanks Dave!