Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it possible to tighten the focus knob on a Laser 301?

I recently got a 405nm laser 301 and I was wondering if I could tighten the focus knob, as when I focus it, it almost immediately comes slightly out of focus unless I keep it very still.

diachi

I recently got a 405nm laser 301 and I was wondering if I could tighten the focus knob, as when I focus it, it almost immediately comes slightly out of focus unless I keep it very still.

Do you mean focus it to a point or focus it to infinity? :thinking:

Are you sure your eyes aren't just being tricked by the wavelength? Most people have a hard time seeing 405nm properly.

Do you mean focus it to a point or focus it to infinity? :thinking:

Are you sure your eyes aren't just being tricked by the wavelength? Most people have a hard time seeing 405nm properly.

Focusing to a point is usually fine (however if I move the laser too quickly it falls out of focus), but when I focus to infinity it is fine but if I move the laser quickly, it usually comes out of focus and the dot is much larger. I am relatively certain that my eyes aren't being tricked as if I move the laser slower, it stays in focus. Do I need to adjust the laser so that when the knob is all the way in, it is at infinity?

Last edited:

diachi

samocamo123;1509191Do I need to adjust the laser so that when the knob is all the way in said:
Yup, that's usually how these are. You should be able to adjust the position of the focusing ring on the lens barrel.

An easier alternative may be to put some teflon tape (also known as thread seal tape) on the lens barrel to stiffen it up some. Just be careful not to overdo it/get any inside the laser.

These are very cheap pointers that have no spring or other device to hold the focus knob in place. It is the nature of a <$10.00 laser pointer. I never really tried to fix this as it is common among all of them.

Those housings that have wobbly tops are annoying, I just tighten them all the way down snug, then reach in the front with the right size screwdriver and adjust the lens for infinity and leave it set there.

Reactions: GSS