Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it me or is this graph wrong?

Is it me or is this graph wrong? It looks like it is reversed since exposure time is increasing with power. If it is wrong, hopefully one of you computer and wikipedia savvy people could fix it. Its the first graph on the Laser Safety page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety. I'm guessing the second graph is for skin exposure.

IEC60825_MPE_J_s.png

This is a full logarithmic graph as opposed to a semi-logarithmic one. It also is not in power exposure, but energy exposure which is a measure of pulsed lasers or even noncolimated light, especially in the UV range. That being said, it does appear that whoever put this graph together reversed one of the axes. By reversing either the X or the Y axis, this would likely be correct. This one is in cm^2, which is a larger area than the eye's pupil would take in even fully dilated.

Well it's a start. You just multiply the power by the fraction of cm2 area that the beam takes up.