Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it legal to sell a laser system on eBay?

doctor_turbo

I’ve been looking for the answer to this forever. It seems like most laws in the US only apply to laser POINTERS. However I bought a laser machine from China a few years back, a Shinp AL-980 or something. I don’t use it anymore so I want to sell it. My concern is however that I will end up getting fined a bunch of money if I do. I think the wattage is somewhere in the range of 500-1000 mV. Is it legal for me, a private seller, to sell it to a private buyer? Or am I playing with fire?

Last edited:

Encap

Did you look on eBay and Amazon to see if anything like/similar to it being sold?
If so that answers to your question. If it was illegal to sell eBay nor Amazon neither would be selling it.

doctor_turbo

Did you look on eBay and Amazon to see if anything like it os being sold?
If so that the answers to your question.

Yeah, I bought it off eBay originally from China. But sellers from China can’t be prosecuted in the US. I saw a couple people in the US are re-selling used Shinp brand lasers, but that doesn’t mean it’s legal.

Encap

Well, you don't actually say what the device is nor model and make information so....

Doubt selling 1 piece of a used laser is a problem if they are being sold on Ebay and Amazon---they gernarall allow restricted and or illegal item to be sold on their selling platforms.
Could be a problem if as a business and an item of commerce you were importing and selling them daily in USA to a customers within USA and the product did not comply with US FDA laws, rules, and regulations but....

See: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/rules-general/rules/rules.html

Last edited:

doctor_turbo

Yeah, I read all those laws but they are confusing and seem to reference handheld lasers specifically. This is the exact laser I have:

SHINP 760MW 7 Colors Red Green Blue Animation Cartoon ILDA DMX Laser Yc.AL460RGB

You can search it on eBay.

I believe it is a class 3B laser. I can be used for laser light shows. I used it for personal use only. Am I breaking any laws if I try to resell it or do I need to register it and make sure it has the correct labeling and stuff. Once again, I am not a manufacturer or business, just a one time only private sale.

Encap

Just sell it---is legal to use any light show projector in your own home for you own entertainment or for family and friends----really needs to comply with FDA rules and regs to be used in public---- the owner/show maker needs for both the device and the show itself to obtain a Variance from the FDA if it is over 5mW.

See: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...-and-entertainment-products/laser-light-shows
" Laser products promoted for demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation 21 CFR 1040.11(c). This means that projectors are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. There are also limits for any invisible wavelengths and for short pulses. Laser light show projectors therefore may not exceed the accessible emission limits of CDRH Class IIIa. Laser light show manufacturers must submit a variance request for FDA approval in order to sell and operate higher class (Class IIIb and IV) laser light show equipment.
Prior to using Class IIIb and IV lasers for a laser light show in the United States, the following documents must be submitted to the FDA:
  • Product Report describing the laser projector,
  • Laser Light Show Report describing the laser light show, and
  • Application requesting FDA approval for a variance from the demonstration laser product hazard class limit of IIIa (5mW visible output)."

Last edited:
List it here in BS&T==duh!

not illegal to sell or ship projectors--