Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR wavelength - Lowest non visible + Photo sensors

karlos

Rivem - Thank you very much. that's 100% what I came here for, a good discussion on what I trying to do. I will investigate what you recommend and check out some astronomy forums as well.

The ironic thing is those NV illuminators have photo sensors in them, no doubt they block their own wavelength, lol.

Just tape a little flashlight to it when stargazing.

Last edited:

karlos

thank you. really want a laser pointer type set up so I can have it permanently mounted to my garage and just flick it on when needed. I'm not keen to go up near pole with the electrical wires. I enjoy that whole breathing / being alive thing

You want to be very careful with invisible lasers as they can still damage your retina up about 1500nm, so don't blind yourself or leave a trap for someone else, it will likely need to be in the visible spectrum anyway as I was saying even those 850nm and 910nm lights have daylight sensors to turn them on right there on their face, so your pole sensor may be the same.

I would look for 660nm maybe, a deep red that is easier to ignore than the streetlight, but again you risk legal and eye injury so at your own risk.

karlos

yea. have used a red pointer in the past. it made the sensor box glow to much and pole is in my line of sight (south) to see the aurora australis. perhaps should have had the topic as "invisible laser turn off photocell"