Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR filtering a 50mw

djQUAN

If you look at the posts showing the IR leakage, it is somewhat collimated along with the green beam so it would only be an issue if you look straight into the aperture which you most probably won't unless it isn't producing any green which in this case is a sign you'd have to throw it away anyways.

And with the operating temperature issues, that's why I prefer direct green lasers more. :)

Last edited:

So I contacted Susie at O-like asking if she could install an IR filter on the 50mw I was planning on buying and she responded saying that an IR filter is unnecessary on a 50mw. Is this true? Because I've always heard differently.

After installing the IR filter the power might not reach 50 mW at 532 nm :crackup:

The danger of this laser is its 1064-nm emission what might be quite powerful. Thus, you will always need to take EXTRA care in your experiments with gratings or prisms when the 1064-nm would separate and would go nobody-could-seen where. Accidents happen. Try to eliminate them as much as possible. The right filter is a good choice.

I meant the IR, even a good quality without IR filter you never know how much goes out do you?

I agree, and for what it's worth I'd filter it. I would on anything I had the choice to, certainly did on my 100mW.

However, all but the most rubbish of lasers won't emit 10x IR than they do green, and any that do belong in the dustbin...

After installing the IR filter the power might not reach 50 mW at 532 nm :crackup:

Then it would have been a mis-sold laser. You pay for 50mW of green light, regardless of what's behind it - if you're not getting 50mW of green light you're being had. Lots of members on here LPM green lasers and they meet or exceed spec.

Also, I've just re-read that - the IR filter is installed after the green has already been generated (obviously, else it'd filter out the very IR that makes the green). Therefore, it won't be filtering any 532nm as that's not what IR filters block, so green output should be unaffected. The filter will only be catching the dribs and drabs of IR that leaked past the crystals and whatnot.

Last edited: