Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR diodes in 16x burners..

I reposted this thread here after being told to ask here instead...I originally posted it in the Red Lasers section since most of us encounter these diodes while building red burners...

Ok.. so I ended up with a dead 16x DVD burner from a friend..

I tried to make a red burner out of it.. only once I got it all hooked up in the module.. the LED syndrome:( I suspect I damaged it while removing that damn ribbon...

So I decided to try my luck on the IR diode.. pretty damn neat I might say:).. Except for the fact that I have NO idea what to drive these at. It ran at 250mA for about 10 minutes straight no problem, as I tested it's burning capabilities.. impressive to say the least.

Then, I tried showing the other half how well it did, set up a second balloon(the first was history QUICK lol), powered it up and pop.. LED syndrome:(

I am using a rkcstr driver, again set at 250mA.

What is the proper voltage/current to use with one of these and how much power can I expect? I was impressed with what I saw(well didn't see to put it right):D

last time i checked the IR diodes were only 80mW or so CW at prolly around 90-100mA so I'm surprised you didn't get instant LED at 250mA

I kinda figured.. it was neat while it lasted, though:D. Sometime I'll have to invest in a real IR diode. I have some poractical uses for these, but for the power I will need, I'll also need goggles since the common sense approach I use towards safety won't be enough for as much as I plan to use the laser(engraving in particular reqires me to be too close to the object I am working on).

Other uses for lower power ones are as beacons for some of my night-vision adventures. You'd be surpised at how well a low power IR beam shows up through night vison goggles:D

I tried using Pioneer DVR 213LS drive ir diode.i manage to maintain the ir diode at 300+ ma(checked with digital multimeter) at 6 volts for more than 5 mins without any heatsink except for aixiz module(got slightly warmer).
. then i accidentally killed it by forgetting to discharge the capacitor to plug one of its loose leads.
i have no laser meter so i cannot tell the output.

I have 3 here at the moment.. going to experiment and see how high I can push one LOL..