Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR characteristics

bhank

I've been looking for an affordable high power IR c-mount for a project I've got planned for the near future. There are quite a few on ebay. Is there any reason that members here use 808nm diodes more than anything else or is it just that they are more readily available. Now from what I've gathered from other threads, the longer the wavelength, the better objects absorb it. Is this correct or am I just pulling it out of my ass?

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of 905-915nm diodes available for less than 808nm diodes.

Thanks
Blaine

It is true that short wavelengths are absorbed better in some objects, but the difference between ~808 and >900 is negligible.
808nm is pretty common and easy to come by in high outputs, and besides that it is not completely invisible, allowing you some idea of where you are pointing.
It is also neat to be able to make loose crystal sets lase with an 808nm pointer.
I would recommend the seller snoctony on ebay.
Oh yeah, and get a diode with FAC. It makes collimating the beam much easier.

Last edited:
I'll provide a second vote for snoctony on ebay. I have purchased several of his 2W 808nm c-mount with fac. All were good, shipped quickly and well packed. To experiment with completely invisible IR diodes is more difficult as you can only see the output with the help of a camcorder, and the correct goggles must be worn at all times since reflections are totally invisible, but very harmful to the eyes. My 2W 808nm handhelds are excellent burners, so is my 4W 960nm. Have fun safely!

bhank

Oh I will of course get goggles when I buy a diode. I knew I had seen some portable IRs I just wasn't sure who made them LOL. That's one thing I want to do is make a handheld. I also want to build a high power green module just for the experience and because I think it's pretty damn cool LOL.

Thank you guys for giving me the name of a reputable source for the diodes I appreciate your help :)