Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR beam into VIsible beam how?

Hey, my first post so sorry if wrong section. I am building a laser which is 300 mW 808nm
So I noticed it's IR beam.
SO questions are:

1) WIll it still burn stuff?

2) How can I make it visible red beam?

3) If I wear some kind of glases , could I see IR beam?

Thanks.

1) yes it will burn stuff if it is focused.

2) you will need very complex and probably expensive crystals to make red, but to the naked eye you can see a dim red dot with 808nm.

3) you will be able to see the beam at night with night vision goggles.

stuart :)

Last edited:
Also my question is,
If I make something like this guy says:
YouTube - Infrared Goggle Hack For Under $10!!
Would I see IR beam?
Oh and with my laser diode would I be able to burn something from range lets say 20 metres?

Oh and what suggestions you can give me on finding a body for laser? like cylinder from what?

THanks. I see it's nice forums with fast replies.

Wrong.

The 635nm DPSS is in the red category.

Dont give advice till you know what you are talking about.
Oops. Sorry, I corrected my post.
Also my question is,
If I make something like this guy says:
YouTube - Infrared Goggle Hack For Under $10!!
Would I see IR beam?
Absolutely not, because that thing does NOT amplify IR light.
I may not yet have Tech Junkie's knowledge, but I recognize a crock when I see one, and that's exactly what that thing is. Assuming it works (i.e. it actually allows you to see the little infrared light human eyes can see as a dim red, by filtering out everything else):
1) it does not amplify anything, so, if you don't see a beam with your naked eyes, you won't see a beam with that thing on
2) with that thing on, your pupils will dilate because they don't receive enough light. If IR light is the ONLY light that thing does not filter, you're VERY likely to get a beam in your eyes and hurt yourself, EVEN MORE than you would be without it.

If you look at the end of the video it clearly says you cannot see true IR.

Only a camera without the IR filter will see the IR beam. Other than that, there is NO WAY of seeing an IR beam. Get it?

kipkay is a douche, those "IR goggles" only block some red and blue light, it would be just like wearing red and green safety glasses at the same time. How is that supposed to magically let your eyes see what they can't physically see? All of his stuff is useless crap that any 8 year old could throw together...
Real IR glasses convert IR light into visible spectrum light so that we can see a representation of the IR light. You are not actually seeing the IR light, it is just replaced with another color that you can see. Cameras do this inadvertently sometimes and pretty much all the time if you take the IR filter out like TJ said.

If you are asking questions like this, its probably not too safe for you to be playing with that diode.

ok what about other part of question?
Oh and with my laser diode would I be able to burn something from range lets say 20 metres?

Oh and what suggestions you can give me on finding a body for laser? like cylinder from what?

no you would not be able to burn anything at 20m with 50mW of power... do some research, its all here.

stuart :)

If you search around you will find all that you need. I guarantee that all of your questions are answered around here somewhere.

A body is commonly called a host, do a search for that.

As far as burning, you need to find more info on optics and focusing, look around that part of the forum some.

Real IR glasses convert IR light into visible spectrum light so that we can see a representation of the IR light. You are not actually seeing the IR light, it is just replaced with another color that you can see. Cameras do this inadvertently sometimes and pretty much all the time if you take the IR filter out like TJ said.

:thinking: Never seen these. Can you post a link? I thought IR glasses block IR, and dont aid in see it.

Last edited: