Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ipod laser, my brothers 1st red

I have a 17yr old brother, I ordered a pioneer 115d diode pressed into an aixiz laser housing with a glass lens for my brother. I then went to radio shack and bought all the parts needed for a DDL driver. I taught my brother some electronics stuff and instructed him on what to do (he already had some electronics classes in high school). I don't have much free time so he had to put it together just on instructions from me and online schematic (I also modded the DDL circuit a little). We built it with 5 ohms. We then needed a case so after looking (before we went to radio shack and got the case like I used since I didn't know radio shack sold those as I missed it the first time I went there) my brother wanted something clear to show it off in science class at school. We used a Ipod nano case.

100_2485.jpg

100_2486.jpg

100_2487.jpg

100_2488.jpg

100_2489.jpg

chido

For what I see you're only using 3 AAs, your regulator is dropping out. The circuit needs at least 6v to work, but you should use more than 6v, i.e. 7v and above. It's better to use NIMH batteries, but if you don't have any, then use 5 or 6 alkalines. ;)

EDIT: Also, try to put something between the LD pins so they don't come in contact with each other.

chido said:
For what I see you're only using 3 AAs, your regulator is dropping out. The circuit needs at least 6v to work, but you should use more than 6v, i.e. 7v and above. It's better to use NIMH batteries, but if you don't have any, then use 5 or 6 alkalines. ;)

EDIT: Also, try to put something between the LD pins so they don't come in contact with each other.

With 3 AA's the circuits already 4v for some reason? But 3v when the laser is hooked up. I dunno, I think he wired something wrong but everything checks out and the mA is what it should be.

We tried 2 CR123's but it gives 6v to the laser and we tried that with a resistor but it didn't seem as strong as 3 AA's

chido

I don't think you should be using the laser unless you wire the regulator properly, you might kill the LD.

chido

goldfingerfif said:
We tried 2 CR123's but it gives 6v to the laser and we tried that with a resistor but it didn't seem as strong as 3 AA's

How are you measuring the current and voltage going to the diode? How did you set up your multimeter?

iewed

Thats a really cool design, but how well does the plastic absorb heat? I might have to copy you on the nano case idea though ;)

chido said:
[quote author=goldfingerfif link=1204419130/0#3 date=1204420038]We tried 2 CR123's but it gives 6v to the laser and we tried that with a resistor but it didn't seem as strong as 3 AA's

How are you measuring the current and voltage going to the diode? How did you set up your multimeter?
[/quote]

Before I put the diode in I put a 1 ohm resistor in and measured the voltage to get the mA. I took the resistor out and measured the volts, then I put the LD in and measured the volts again in parallel with the laser.

I tested the mA right but I gotta retest the V, well I guess it is right when I have the ld hooked up

chido

The diode you have isn't from a 115D, Dr. Lava was selling stonetek, and 200mW diodes. I believe you ordered a 200mW one.

Yeah I asked my little brother last night, and he said no it was closed can. I get confused sometimes, I thought I bought him the same diode as mine. When I looked in Dr. Lava's thread I guess it was a good closed can.