Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

iPhone with laser pointer :)

bob808

Seems pretty cool.
YouTube - iLaserPointer.MP4!

It looks plugged into the headphones output of the iPhone. Does anyone know how much current does that provide? And voltage? Seems a weak 1-2 mW red.

Asherz

From some research it seems that the headphone socket in the iPhone outputs around 30mW of power per channel, so for that red laser too be working lets assume it uses 2V and 15mA of current:

2V x 15mA = 30mW of power required.

It would be a very week laser and you wouldn't be able to get anything more powerful in there, it's an interesting idea though.

If you wanted to get a more powerful laser in there your best bet would be looking at the dock connector:

Apple iPod and iPhone (2g, 3g) Dock Interfaces pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

if you were to get hold of a dock connector and wire pins 1 (GND) and pins 18 (+3.3V) with the appropriate resistor (15ohm I think would give 220mA) you could in theory run a pretty powerful laser of it, I would have thought it would be safer to use a flex drive boost driver or something in the dock connector to make sure the current is stable and it could also boost the voltage if need be.

So after some very uncertain calculations I assume you could do something quite impressive with an iPhone/touch dock connector.

hope this helps! :)

I've found it on internet, http://www.hmb-tec.de/HMB-TEC/LaserPointer.html, it cost arround 33€.. Do you thing is a good idea buy it?