Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Invisible"ink" on white paper with 1W 405nm

While I played with my BDR-209 build I noticed something interesting.
When you try to burn a paper with a bit unfocused dot and stop before it turns black it creates burn mark that can't be seen in normal light but can be seen in uv light so you can use it to write like with invisible ink pen

Paper under normal light:
rsz_dsc_2359.jpg

When illuminated with 365nm flashlight:
rsz_dsc_2361.jpg
Edit: I didn't tried other colored papers.I will try it soon and post results here.
Edit 2: It works with light yellow and other colors(but color has to be fluorescent enough)but best is white, I can't look at yellow paper even thru safety glasses because of fluorescence

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You've burnt away the fluorescent compounds that were added to the paper to make them appear whiter. It probably won't work in the same way with other coloured paper. But it's worth a try. Nice little find. :)

While I played with my BDR-209 build I noticed something interesting.
When you try to burn a paper with a bit unfocused dot and stop before it turns black it creates burn mark that can't be seen in normal light but can be seen in uv light so you can use it to write like with invisible ink pen

Paper under normal light:
View attachment 64760

When illuminated with 365nm flashlight:
View attachment 64761
Edit: I didn't tried other colored papers.I will try it soon and post results here.
Edit 2: It works with light yellow and other colors(but color has to be fluorescent enough)but best is white, I can't look at yellow paper even thru safety glasses because of fluorescence
You'll discover many things will fluoresce and some materials are phosphorescent.

I was a rock hound back when I was a kid. I had many fluorescent rocks and minerals. Had to use a black light back then because it was many years before laser diodes and UV LEDs. Some minerals fluoresce, but you have to try to find out which because even the same mineral specimens won't necessarily fluoresce if they came from different areas.

Last edited:

Anthony P

If you find that interesting, may I suggest a N2 laser build like Scientific American as pump for Dye laser. It is probably the easiest of the gas lasers to DIY and pretty much any color laser is possible with dyes.