Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Introduction

A direct copy from lasercommunity:

I am a 22 year student from Melbourne Australia currently in my final year of my BSc(Photonics) degree. For those not upto date with the term, which is probably few of you, that is the study of light. In particular, the use of light to manipulate information. My university is Swinburne University of technology. Next year I intend to move onto a Honours degree in Lasers and Optoelectronics before starting a PhD in either Optical Data Storage or Photonic Crystals for use in Optical Information Processing.

So yeah. Huge fan of lasers. Words can not describe it. From 9am to 5pm today I was at university listening to talks about potential research projects at the Swinburne Optics and Laser Laboratories. I have completed a few myself. One was a scholarship studying atomic coherence. Basicly, inducing transparency in Rubidium atoms via two slightly detuned near inferred lasers so that we could slow the group velocity of light in the Rubidium gas by several orders of magnetude (around 5). Another was with the Australian Defence Force working on Fibre Optic Sensing for Military Aircraft. As part of that, I was able to undertake laser safety training with them to become a level one laser safety officer. Not sure what that means outside of the defence force or Australia though.

My only complaint to date is that I am living on a student budget which means no lasers for me. One day though, I will start to collect my toys. For now I just have to sit back and envy those professors that bring their green and today, their blue and orange laser pointers to their lectures. Oddly, he refused to tell me where he aquired them from stating numerous safety reasons despite my insistance on having completed a laser safety course and worked in a lab with numerous multi watt lasers.

I plan on visitng this site quite a bit and hope my knowlege can be usefull to some people. I hope there are many people here that share my enthusiasm.

welcome ben, good luck on getting your lasers!! if you do end up with the money, i've written a "price per mW" comparison table that also lists the prices of many companies, you can find that as a sticky thread (aka "Important Topics") in the Companies & Reviews section to help you find something not too expensive :) just be careful, not all companies have the same quality, out of what's on that list and cheap i'd recommend nova lasers personally. enjoy your time here! :)

Rhith

I'm glad I got you to check out this site now too!
I really hope you enjoy everything, be sure to check out the multimedia section for our "Best Of" pictures!

Things

welcome to the forum :cool: these forums are a great place for learning and just having fun! ;)