Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

interest guage....

Who was your source for them SenKat? For me the main problem is the overhead of getting an order placed (with EMS shipping from China, bank transfer fees, etc), so if a group deal got going prices would fall a lot, but I don't think there's too much interest here on LPF. For the 500mW ones in either 808nm or 980nm with 5-6 month warranty I could get a single unit shipped to someone for ~$450 I believe, but in if its a few units (lets say.. 3+) I could probably get in the $350-400 range. Add $120 to any of those prices for the 700mW versions. My sheet is showing that these are not fully FDA compliant though so I would have to look into that first, but I don't believe they would cause any customs problems anyway.

I like the added visibility on the 808nms, but as said, the beam quality sucks compared to the 1064nm Hades ones. The price also reflects this though as the 500mW 1064nm would be +$350 on to the price of the 500mW 808 or 980nm.

As said above though, for the person who likes to do a little tinkering on their own and doesn't need portability, you can get far cheaper/more powerful IR diodes. I would suggest eBay seller Junktronix for this as they often have 1-4W 808nm diodes in the <$300 range as well as some pretty powerful (>40W+) diode arrays at great prices.

SenKat said:
You and your doggone egg frying.....LOL !!!

;D

SenKat, have you ever tried to pop a popcorn kernel with your Coherent fiber-coupled IR? There was a post about this on LC a while back, but I don't think anyones managed it so far.

S

SenKat

GREAT Idea !!! I am gonna try that tonight....muahahahahahaha !!!!

SenKat said:
GREAT Idea !!! I am gonna try that tonight....muahahahahahaha !!!!

lemme know if it works.. I'm out of time this eve.. but I'll try the Herc too if I don't forget.

P

Proctor

$500 isn't worth it.

I can probably get a 10W+ 808nm diode on eBay for $50 and make my own collimated pointer for a total of maybe $100.

At 10 Watts.

Proctor said:
$500 isn't worth it.

I can probably get a 10W+ 808nm diode on eBay for $50 and make my own collimated pointer for a total of maybe $100.

At 10 Watts.

10 Watts?...now were crackin that popcorn!.....

I still haven't tried the herc yet....

How would you power it?

better question.... what crystal could take that much and still pass it... thats where the bucks would be wouldn't it?

Proctor said:
$500 isn't worth it.

At 10 Watts.

Proctor, with all due respect, you can talk all you want but eventually I'm just going to stop listening. Where were you planning on getting this 10W+ diode from? I didn't even know such diodes existed, much less sold on eBay for <$50. I think you're talking about a diode array, and they sell for more than $50. Power supply? Heck, that alone would cost you a significant amount and make it beyond a hercules in terms of portability. Then you need good cooling, power for that too, etc. (the optics to collimate one axis of that diode array would alone push you near or past your budget)

I have a >10W 808nm laser, and I feel I have at least a half-decent idea of the scope that goes into making/purchasing/operating it. I'm sorry, but what you are saying is like saying:
"Well, airplanes are made out of aluminum. Why are they so expensive? I could just go to Wal-Mart and get $100 of aluminum foil and add some lawn chairs to it and get a Boeing 747 for <$1k tops" (an interesting project indeed, but I'll let YOU pilot the test flight)

Sorry for the attitude Proctor, but when you say things like that, other people might be tempted to go on eBay, buy used diode arrays, and hope for a 10W pointer. Its completely unrealistic and I'd rather shoot you down to save their money than keep a good attitude towards you and your claim, sorry.

Dang, you mean we can't build a raygun for 50 bucks to take out asteroids?... ;D