Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Inova Microlight Miracle, Expert Electronics Advice Appreciated

VW

Okay, so before I start, here's a little information on the Inova Microlight and why I want help with this "miracle." The Inova Microlight has three modes, high power ("constant wave"), low power ("pulsed"), and strobe. Typically, there are two types of LEDs which take advantage of these modes, solid colour LEDs, and tracer LEDs. Solid colour LEDs when used in this light, have a standard effect; in high power the LED creates one continious ribbon of light and in low power the LED has a dotted effect due to the pulsation. Tracer LEDs on the other hand are different and have a special effect; in high power they create one continious ribbon of light however in low power, they seperate colours and as well as the dots, you get trail of light where you otherwise would have no light at all.

Sorry for the water marks, I do not intend to promote this website through the image, I'm only using them as a visual representation to the issue at had.

Tracer
tracermotion.jpg

Now previously, tracer LEDs were the only LEDs that gave this effect, however this is no longer the case. A guy over at this thread explains how:

Kandi / Gear / Lights - Plurlife - Electronic Music, DJs, Clubs, and Parties!

Basically, long story short, one of his Inovas got damaged almost beyond repair, but a quick solder later and he managed to bring it back to life. However, after soldering he discovered that solid LEDs which typically DO NOT TRACE, suddenly started tracing.

DSC06342.jpg

DSC06351.jpg

DSC06353.jpg

What I'm hoping you could help me with, is what kind of modification to this light could create this effect, as while the guy did solder, we don't know what damage had been done to the light and what actually caused this phenomenon. Any help would be much appreciated, as this is a very popular light and this discovery is pretty big, a lot of people would love to be able to make this modification them selves and start using the tracer effect with every solid LED they use. Thanks!

It could simply be that what appears to be pulsed(on, off, on, off cycles) which would have you think there would be no tracing,
is in fact a on, low power, on, low power pulse pattern. Our eyes would not be able to see the low power light inbetween the high
power flashes giving the impression that the led is off inbetween pulses when in fact it isn't. And the only way to verify it would
be to do as you have shown in your pics with a long exposure shot.

~100-~200Hz PWM can create a cool, visible "tracer" effect as you call it, without appearing to "strobe". If kept in one place, the light appears to be dimmer or brighter depending on duty cycle, but if you move them quickly you can clearly see the individual "dots" of on time. You can change the duty cycle and frequency to change the length of the on and off "stripes" and "dots" you get while moving it around. It's hard to explain, but I can clearly see 30 or so "dots" of light when I swing my maratac AAA (200hz) around on low mode.