Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Infrared from 445nM

RoBeacon

Hey all, I've had a couple of lasers for around 10 years now. I just bought a 1.2 Watt 445nM laser and a pair of Eagle Pair goggles 190-540 OD5 rating. These however do not filter IR.

That is where my concern begins. Do I need to buy the wave length blocking glass and get an IR testing card or is there another way to test this?

BTW I always use a closed off controlled environment for any laser use. Batteries do not get installed until the goggles are on.

paul1598419

All 445nm lasers are direct diode lasers. You can find them from as little as 10 mW up to 7+ watts.

RoBeacon

I see you have many lasers. What do you use them for? I bought mine and while it’s absolutely amazing, it’s incredibly powerful and I can’t fathom a practical use for it.

steve001

I see you have many lasers. What do you use them for? I bought mine and while it’s absolutely amazing, it’s incredibly powerful and I can’t fathom a practical use for it.
I agree there's no practical application. But for lab type lasers of the kind Paul has, there's all sorts of fun stuff to do.
I find it fun to see how far away I'm able to illuminate a light colored surface. I think member acrticdude has done so at 15 kilometers with a blue laser. Take a look at this. Crossing the channel [laser communication]
http://g0mrf.com/laser5.htm

Last edited:

RoBeacon

Would you mind sharing a picture of your lab setup? Ive seen a few laser tables but not sure where to start or how to safely terminate the beam.

steve001

Would you mind sharing a picture of your lab setup? Ive seen a few laser tables but not sure where to start or how to safely terminate the beam.
There are devices specifically used for beam dumping. Just about any dark non-combustable mass can be used as a beam dump [terminator].

lasersbee

Hey all, I've had a couple of lasers for around 10 years now. I just bought a 1.2 Watt 445nM laser and a pair of Eagle Pair goggles 190-540 OD5 rating. These however do not filter IR.

That is where my concern begins. Do I need to buy the wave length blocking glass and get an IR testing card or is there another way to test this?

BTW I always use a closed off controlled environment for any laser use. Batteries do not get installed until the goggles are on.
I would suggest that you do a Google search
or some reading research on LPF about what
type of Blue 445nm Lasers that emit IR...

Maybe this will help....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_laser

Jerry