Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Infared Laser Or some other Powerful

Maze

Hello i want to buy a good infared laser like on 1W to 10W if thats possible i dont care if its handheld or not, any suggestions?

What do you want it for? A high wattage handheld ir laser sounds like a terrible idea!

Maze

i know how to use a laser with caution and for like burning stuff, but i dont know if i should buy a 1,2W/1W blue laser or a IR..

If you must have a 1W Laser you will be much safer with one you
can clearly see (ie.. 445nm)...
I would suggest that you stay away from high power IR Lasers.

And don't forget to get appropriate Laser Safety Googles/Glasses

Jerry

Maze

Why is a 1W IR more dangerous than a 1W blue for example?

Hiemal

Because you can't see it. You don't know how much power is really reflecting into your eyes.

Maze

true, but i dont want like a 1W blue handheld or something, is it possible to get a 1W-2W green non-handheld?

Hiemal

1 - 2 watts of green is going to be expensive as hell, like $500-1,000 or even more. I don't even think you can get them handheld!

Looks/appears that you need to do a lot more research and
reading on the Forum to bring yourself up to speed...

true, but i dont want like a 1W blue handheld or something, is it possible to get a 1W-2W green non-handheld?

Anything is possible if you have the $$$$

Jerry

Last edited:
i know how to use a laser with caution and for like burning stuff, but i dont know if i should buy a 1,2W/1W blue laser or a IR..

No, you don't. You ask about an ir laser in ridiculous wattages and state that you know how to use a laser with caution, then you ask:

I'm usually pretty relaxed with new members but you worry me. You seem to be over-confident bordering on arrogant but you are completely ignorant of what you are talking about.

It terrifies me to think someone with almost no idea what they are doing could get a hold of a 1+ watt ir laser and have it in public. At least with a VL laser the rest of us could identify the fool with the high power laser and leave.

:yabbmad:

The reason I asked why you wanted a high wattage ir is that it is unusually dangerous because you cannot really see it. I have never experimented with ir because I am not comfortable with it and I can't figure what I would do with it.

But there are members here who have them.

However, if you get a high powered >1 watt blue, you can feel the intensity. If you take it outside and use it to shoot beams in the sky, there is a sense of power that inspires respect. When you burn something, you realize, "this is a wicked dangerous laser."

I never burn without goggles, it is just crazy to subject your eyes to that kind of concentrated light.

With ir, you can't really see the beam. Depending on the wavelength, you might see a seemingly weak red laser. There is nothing to indicate you have a retina-sizzling laser that can instantly sear eye tissue and blind you in milliseconds. Not just one eye, but both because you may not even feel or realize the damage right away.

Eyes do not have a lot of pain sensing nerves to protect you and usually rely on perceived brightness to protect you.

With ir there is no warning, no bright light, no blink reflex, no searing instant pain.

They are way more,dangerous than visible light lasers because of all this...

I'm not really familiar with the rifle laser. I like the blue lasers from survival laser. But with you being in Denmark I don't know if that would be a bad choice from you since they're in the USA.

Maze

US to Denmark is big taxes so that wouldnt work. but thanks for your support/help :)

I am total agreeing with no IR handheld, now CO2 thats a laser for some IR burning ,but 445nm is very very nice, but take your time, may even want to make it yourself. all the stuff you need is here it just takes time. 2W green LOL im just saying my wallet would kill me in my sleep. Look around check the buy and sell thread to see what kinda lasers are going around, these folks here are indeed the experts and make one of a kind unique lasers that has a quality not found in most shops.

Last edited: