Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Independent Soft-Start module to be used in conjunction with a driver?

Is there such an animal out there? I want to use the BlackBuck 8M (for its potentiometer and diode heat sensor features) but it does not have a significant soft-start feature (0.5millisecond start delay). Some threads here on LPF suggest an adequate soft start of between 250 - 500 milliseconds. Most drivers have 'soft starts' of between 1 - 5 milliseconds. Many driver specs don't even mention the duration at all, leaving the buyer guessing at what the value is.

I want to put a ready-made soft start circuit/module between the BB 8M driver and the laser diode. I don't want to modify the BB 8M either. It also needs to be small to fit inside a typical handheld host.

Nothing on ebay, Amazon, etc. except large AC units.

I assume this cannot be reasonably done but want to throw it out there first in case someone has done it. Thank you.

Last edited:

How about taking another driver which does feature a proper soft start (ACS4500BU soft start = 250 millliseconds) and insert it between the BB 8M and the diode?

I assume if this can be done, it will probably double the inefficiency and double the heat produced. Both will have to set to the same power level too.

Haas anybody done this before?