Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IN NEED of an open can

I need an open can, the "long" type.

please tell me if anyone has one to spare.

regards,

amk

jayrob said:
amk, what happend? Did yours die? If so, how did it happen?
Jay

P.S. I'm sure you must have saw this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118003
Free shipping!

yea, i dont want to risk killing it by extracting it, so far every single diode ive extracted from a DVD has died on me. (IOW i killed it lol)

Well, I got some heat shrink tubing yesterday, and decided that the flimsy electrical tape all jumbled up and stuffed into the mxdl on every joint was not a good idea. I decided to replace the tape with the tubing.

I first desoldered the module from the driver, and took out the heatsink and everything.

I then used heat shrink tubing on the wires connecting the driver to the diode. turns out, as I was doing this, the glue holding the batt contact PCB came off, and I had to re do the glue. I then realized I had no - input to my DDL driver anymore, because the ground was covered in glue. i spent and hour trying to somehow get a wire sodlered to the outer - ring on the bottom of the batt contact PCB make contact with the case.

after that, I proceded to desoldering the wirs from the open can. I then slid on the heatshrink, and went to solder, and noticed that A: the wire's tinning has came off (i dont know how lol...) and B: the leads on the open can were 2mm long (nudge nudge TheMonk). so, I sodlered carefully, and after about 10 minutes I got it done and realized that I forgot to put the heatsink in!!! :p

I desolderd, slid in the heatsink, and resolderd.

I put it together and it would not come on... I realized I soldered to the wrong pins. after about 30 mins, I got the pins and everything right, and once again I forgot the heatsink :-[

another 30 mins past and it was all together. I turn it on, not only does it not turn on, but the middle, where the ddl driver was, and the batt compartment start to get REALLY HOT!!

I take out the batteries, and notice my unprotected Lithium CR123's had shorted (the ground wire form earlier) and started to vent!!!! good thing they didnt vent all the way and explode, I guess wither god really liked me, or I was lucky... Also, the LM317T had shorted somewhere and had overheated...

I got all that fixed up, and I flip on the laser, it once again does not light... a wire had come off the - lead on the diode. I open, take off heatshrink, slip on a new one, solder, only to fidn taht my soldering had heated up the wire, and shrunk the heatshrink before I got to slip it on...

to make a long story short, I go through about 4 hours of messing with the laser, intill the negative lead falls off. knowing the - is grounded to the LD case, i continued to get it to work. after about another hour, the + lead falls off, and the dead diode sits on my workbench currently.... it works, yet there are no leads to solder to anymore....

lesson leared: if it works, dont upgrade

*sighs* $36 down the drain, and now I am looking for a new diode, because I cant just leave the MXDL+ heatsink just sitting there... I also ordered a dremel to cut down the aixiz module with a week ago + some protected 3.6v + charger from DX a few weeks ago... I didnt want those to go to waste...

so, if you got a good offer, Ill take it, and please dont cut down the leads on the diode too short :-/

sorry for long post, I doubt most of you read it lol :p

regards,

amk

chido

Hey, I read the whole thing. :eek: Holly crap that really sucks ;D I hope you get another open can, I ordered one from The Monk yesterday. :D
If I was in your position I'd probably order the sony burner from newegg, Gazoo said it was the easiest he has ever harvested a diode from.

well, I contacted the good ol' monk, and bought another diode from him! :) ;D YAY! my MXDL is coming back!!!

I really must thank TheMonk, as he has taken the risk of extracting diodes and selling them to me, something many have declined to do for me, due to the risk of killing the diode. also, he isnt sqeezing money out of me, like others have done in the past. just a low rate, barely anything left for him, and I truly must say he is an A+ seller and trustable person.

Thanks Jayrob for making my MXDL possible,
THanks to themonk for the open cans, and other things ;)
And thanks DDL, Gazoo, and the other senior memebrs that are (and used to be ;) ) on this forum who helped me make my projects a sucess.

now, onto my next projects: the TRiLAZE: Blu-ray, red, and 5mW DX green all in a box, with magnetic reed switch to change the red form a low power pointer to a 150mW burner, and a slider to chose color! ill make a thread when its complete, but due to the price of Blu's, I might make it Red IR green instead...

regards,

amk

jayrob

amkdeath said:
well, I contacted the good ol' monk, and bought another diode from him!  :) ;D YAY! my MXDL is coming back!!!

I really must thank TheMonk, as he has taken the risk of extracting diodes and selling them to me, something many have declined to do for me, due to the risk of killing the diode. also, he isnt sqeezing money out of me, like others have done in the past. just a low rate, barely anything left for him, and I truly must say he is an A+ seller and trustable person.

And thanks DDL, Gazoo, and the other senior memebrs that are (and used to be  ;) ) on this forum  who helped me make my projects a sucess.

now, onto my next projects: the TRiLAZE: Blu-ray, red, and 5mW DX green all in a box, with magnetic reed switch to change the red form a low power pointer to a 150mW burner, and a slider to chose color! ill make a thread when its complete, but due to the price of Blu's, I might make it Red IR green instead...

regards,

amk

Man amk, I bet you had beads of sweat rolling down your forehead. Sorry about your open can diode. Hey in case you don't already have some small wire, I found that an old mouse cord that I didn't need anymore had some very fine, easily flexible wire in there. This wire makes a big difference! Because, the wire flexes, instead of the LD pins, or the driver components. Anyway, I hope that helps. I'd like to see your Trilaze project when you get it going...
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1203229067/0#4 date=1203307381]well, I contacted the good ol' monk, and bought another diode from him!  :) ;D YAY! my MXDL is coming back!!!

And thanks DDL, Gazoo, and the other senior memebrs that are (and used to be  ;) ) on this forum  who helped me make my projects a sucess.

regards,

amk

Man amk, I bet you had beads of sweat rolling down your forehead. Sorry about your open can diode. Hey in case you don't already have some small wire, I found that an old mouse cord that I didn't need anymore had some very fine, easily flexible wire in there. This wire makes a big difference! Because, the wire flexes, instead of the LD pins, or the driver components. Anyway, I hope that helps. I'd like to see your Trilaze project when you get it going...
Jay[/quote]

yea im looking forward to it too! i have the IR diode, im just waiting for the senkat diodes ot be okayed, and then ill buy one of those and a green. I also have the reed swithes (form a member on here Thanks man!) for the magnetic power changing thingy.

itl be a cool project...

regards,

amk

oh and defenitely yes on the sweat ;D ;)